Thread: Peter W. Singer/Wired For War at The Complex Terrain Lab

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Frakin’ Cool and Winning Wars (Book Review)

Frakin’ Cool and Winning Wars (SWJ Book Review)
    by Robert L. Goldich

Frakin’ Cool and Winning Wars (Full PDF Article)

After Operation Desert Storm in 1991, there was a fusillade of remarks about how American technological superiority was the decisive factor in how we won the war. General H. Norman Schwarzkopf would have none of this. He stated that although our weapons and equipment were indeed technologically superior to those of the Iraqis, we would have won the war if we had had their equipment, and they had had ours. P.W. Singer would have done well to ponder this remark at some point in the researching and writing of Wired for War.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Default Not read the book, but...

As the Middle East Editor of Unmanned Vehicles, the premier journal in the field, for which Pete Singer provided an article, I will follow this with some interest.

Personally, I just don't see the complexity in applying robotics to war. The problem tends to be more ignorance and aspiration based. The operational problems are generally solvable (as I have said in print) given simple and robust conceptual guidance, which we are not currently short of.

Ground crawling robots proved decisive in very obvious ways during Cast Lead
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

Bill, do you have a direct URL for Singer's article in Unmanned Vehicles? I can add it to the list of reference material we're compiling at CTlab.
    --
    Michael A. Innes, Editor & Publisher
    Current Intelligence Magazine

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Innes View Post
    Bill, do you have a direct URL for Singer's article in Unmanned Vehicles? I can add it to the list of reference material we're compiling at CTlab.
    Sorry, there is no Online Edition.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

Default Reverse Analysis

Mike,

Are you going to discuss the impact of robotics when our enemies start using this technology against us? Bill

Council Member

Hi Bill. An important point. If participants don't bring it up, I'll be sure to moderate it into the discussion. Thanks for suggesting it.

Mike
    --
    Michael A. Innes, Editor & Publisher
    Current Intelligence Magazine

Council Member

Default The issue is

certainly explicit in Singer's writing. And if we have the technology others do too, or will soon get it. Of course, it will migrate to our enemies as well as our friends. Such is the inevitable course of technological innovation. For its implications, we'll see what we all say in the symposium.

Hat tip to you Bill

Cheers

JohnT

Default Additional thought

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Mike,

Are you going to discuss the impact of robotics when our enemies start using this technology against us? Bill
    What happens when our enemies hack our systems and take control of our unmanned assets? If nothing else see what we are seeing? Imagine losing a number of Predators to hackers. Not sure if this is what you were talking about Bill, or if they just simple develop their own technology to counter ours?
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.