Thread: How do we say the Afghan Surge is not just mil when civilians are not participating?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Charles Martel ....

which is an interesting choice of handle; if you please, you might want to introduce yourself briefly in this thread, in the About Me section of your User CP or here. Thanks.

Default Synchronicity

(If that is a word)

Tom/Ken, I agree entirely about bringing the world/regional views together. My understanding is that this is about to happen. When I received my degree from the Naval War College, the issue of harmonizing the regional definitions was a constant theme. With Jim Jones as NSA, I have some hopes that much more will happen to bring all elements of national power into convergence.

Default Felicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    ... When I received my degree from the Naval War College, the issue of harmonizing the regional definitions was a constant theme. With Jim Jones as NSA, I have some hopes that much more will happen...
    On the latter, me too. My gut feel is that he will be one of the few bright spots in the next few years.

Re: the former. A friend of mine finished the Army version at Carlisle in the early 80s -- he said it was a dominant theme then and there. Moral of that, I guess, is that we're good -- but we sure are slow...

Default I'm fully prepared to be wrong

Let's hope that I am. When the non-military agencies start flowing in to fix what the President says is the most important challenge we face as a nation, I will be the happiest guy around. Just don't think that our plans match the rhetoric. 17k soldiers, 250 non-DoD civilians (plus a similar number of local hires). Here's to hoping that the plans change.

Default I don't disagree

Our plans haven't matched our rhetoric. Full stop. Having been involved in the PRT program in Afghanistan, I would love to see the Administration push hard on getting all the civilian expertise from across the board. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. I just hope that this Administration does a better job of a troops to rhetoric ratio than did the last. I'm hopeful, but we'll have to re-visit this conversation this time next year. See you then.