I have just read through the postings quickly and have not had time to think about them. But, I think that the culture out of which a lot of young people come is instant everything. Many children have grown up in an environment where they are never told "no." Maybe their parents are never home because it is a single parent household or both parents are working to try to keep up with all the commitments. The early attachments that are necessary for human development and for healthy survival just don't happen. A crisis comes, and the individual doesn't have the coping skills to handle it; suicide becomes a viable option. I think this only one of many aspects. Certainly, the "army culture" is less than perfect and the perspective on is as as different as the number of soldiers in it. There are multiple ways of attacking the problem of suicide. I think awareness and converations about the topic are a very important starting point. I hope this thread will continue as a dialogue because I am very interested in working toward better solutions.