Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
I just don't see how you can say that.....have you read what has been happening along the border with Mexico.
Yes. And even judging by the worst-case scenario, most pessimistic reports, this country is pretty darn safe. And, even if it weren't, what on Earth does that have to do with the money supply? Even if I were to concede your point, it would still bolster my argument - that we've used the luxury of prosperity, safety, security, and stability to generate more leisure time with which to ponder bad ideas, implement them, and raise an entire generation of morons who have no concept of personal responsibility or foresight. Any real or imagined security threat on the Mexican border that has been discussed of late is the result of the drug trade (Americans who demand narcotics because they don't give a damn about our laws), willfully lax immigration enforcement (from elected officials pursuing a political strategies to shore up hispanic voters), and multicultural BS (Americans with too much education, free time, and bad ideas).

I'm not knocking your concept of revising monetary policy. I think you're going too far in selling it. It is not the cure for most, many, or even a significant number of our ills. The best monetary and economic policies matched with the wisest financial regulations and system of incentives will still be useless if the population whom those policies, regulations, and incentives are directed towards are a fundamentally depraved people. So long as people care about me and mine more than right and wrong, we're a mile down #### creek, with a giant hole in the middle of the canoe, and no paddle or paper. Immoral people cannot be governed. They must be coerced and imprisoned or rehabilitated and socialized. Given the rate at which we're throwing people in jail, I fear that the former will be our medicine of choice. On the other hand, maybe this economic "crisis" will be a good thing because it will influence more people to choose the latter.

That is why I continue to see this as a moment of opportunity - not for monetary or regulatory reform so much as for moral reform that will hopefully occur within each person's thick skull, as they slowly realize that they've been behaving in a manner that is not only socially destructive, but self-destructive.