Thread: How To Fix The Economy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I love it when positivists or more specifically absolutists grab hold of the empirical method and what big "T" truths might exist.

The expectation that economists have to explain "EVERYTHING" to be relevant towards "ANYTHING" is pretty defatigable. This is especially true when you bring in the tool of economists, which is statistics, which is a relevant sample, of a relevant population, giving a relative solution, to a falsifiable proposition (hypothesis).

In other words. In forcing a discipline into a box they've never claimed you injure the relevant position by a claim they've never made. A handy logical straw man or circumlocution.

I needn't remind this audience that empiricism is made up of many different schools of thought and have existed for much longer than the ad hominem of windowed time relating to recent political discourse. The Popper and Kuhn dichotomy means that science has just as many partisan ignominies as Fox and CNN do political pundits.

Regardless of the witchcraft that economists might use. The enlightened scientific philosopher will understand that empiricism and epistemology exist as holistic set of principles with the swinging tides of rational thought pulling upon each thread. The scientific method is many tools not just one.
    Last edited by selil; 02-22-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.