Thread: First US Army officer to graduate from Sandhurst

Default First US Army officer to graduate from Sandhurst

Not to be confused with Rank Amatuer (2 words)
    http://www.rsl-dc.blogspot.com/

Default Yes, an odd gap

I too was puzzled at the officer being the first. Sandhurst, the UK Army's officer training academy, with a year long course, has always attracted officer trainees from a number of Commenwealth and other allied nations (mainly Arab and Pakistan). Non-UK trainees make up a small minority, somewhere I have a passing out list in 2008 and could give the figures. Secondly there are Commenwealth staff instructors, civilian and military; I do not think any Americans feature there either.

davidbfpo

I believe there is an American instructor there; I know there is a British instructor at West Point.

http://www.usma.edu/dmi/sandhurst_competition.htm
    Not to be confused with Rank Amatuer (2 words)
    http://www.rsl-dc.blogspot.com/

Council Member

There's always 1 US platoon commander instructor at Sandhurst.

As we read, absorb and enjoy FM 3-24, hopefully you will fully embrace and revel in the beauty and majesty of correctly performed foot drill, without singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHNyR...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Coldstreamer View Post
    hopefully you will fully embrace and revel in the beauty and majesty of correctly performed foot drill, without singing.

Some people just can't multi-task...
    "Law cannot limit what physics makes possible." Humanitarian Apsects of Airpower (papers of Frederick L. Anderson, Hoover Institution, Stanford University)

As we read, absorb and enjoy FM 3-24, hopefully you will fully embrace and revel in the beauty and majesty of correctly performed foot drill, without singing.

Quote Originally Posted by CR6 View Post
    Some people just can't multi-task...
    Too true! I mean, no singing ?!?!?
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Council Member Backwards Observer's Avatar

Default a thing of beauty is a joy forever...

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

a.) I would hope that the UK sees no need to read FM3-24. 99% of what we try to copy from the US comes badly un-stuck.

b.) Now see drill done properly... albeit a bit slow for my taste. In my day we were quicker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs4p8...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koAX2mnG1X8
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

Magnificent!

Of course, if you set off on time, you wouldn't need to run....

Council Member

I like Coldstreamer's drill better but I wouldn't care for the funny hats!
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Magnificent!

Of course, if you set off on time, you wouldn't need to run....
    Or if you had been in the place you should have been when playing the outfield, you would not have had to display your athletic ability with that amazing diving catch. ( I like baseball metaphors.)
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Default Afghan officer cadet

Noticed the other day a clip / report on an Afghan officer due to attend Sandhurst, so maybe there now. Taken a few years to get this far.

davidbfpo

We had Afghan officer cadets at RMA Sandhurst until 1979. I was at staff college with the "class of '79" officer cadet who is now a colonel. Since then we started taking officer cadets again in 2005.
    News to me about the American officer cadet. From what I understand it the US system of officer training is quite different from the UK's.
    We tended to take mostly Commonwealth officer cadets and a lot of african and middle eastern. Very few Latin American as I recall. In my platoon there was a Thai, an Omani and a Malawian officer cadet, all top blokes and with some interesting stories to tell.
    We see a lot of foreign officers on various courses, in fact all the career courses that I have done have had foreign officers on them. Strangely we do not send UK officers on many foreign courses; I cannot help but think we are missing a bit of a trick there.

Former Member George L. Singleton's Avatar

Red Rat and David,

I have a friend serving on contract now in Kabul who was largely responsible for creating or putting together the new Afghan equivalent of West Point over the past two years.

He told me that one of the outside sources of funding for unique aspects of the Afghan Military Service Academy (don't know it's actual, technical name just now) came from the Government of Turkey, who agreed to fund a chapel, a mosque to be precise, being built as part of the total campus there in Kabul. This was and is a practical, far sighted event in my book.

Am interested in the current tense yellow journalism row going on in the UK Parliament over raising and sending more UK troops to Afghanistan. I believe these UK additional forces and equipment, particularly more helicopters, are sorely needed.

FOR GRADUATE STUDENT INPUT AND STUDY OR DISCUSSION: A friend who is a retired PhD (university professor) here in the South where we all live asked me the other day what are the reasons we are in Afghanistan; why do we still need to be there; and also he asked, his view, why don't we just pull out and declare victory?

Rather than bore everyone with my answers, I am interested in the inputs to these questions from and by the UK graduate students old and new Registered or as Members on the SWJ.

Default Why do we still need to be there?

Quote Originally Posted by George L. Singleton View Post
    (taken from) A friend who is a retired PhD (university professor) here in the South where we all live asked me the other day what are the reasons we are in Afghanistan; why do we still need to be there; and also he asked, his view, why don't we just pull out and declare victory?
    George,

SWC have debated this question before, in various threads and posts, often returning to the comparison between the Taliban can wait and we have not got the patience for staying long enough. Hopeflly the new thread: http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=7832 drawing upon David Kilcullen helps to give an answer.

davidbfpo
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 07-17-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Add link

Default A new model army via Sandhurst

A rather laudatory article in places, but with some reflective passages. The title and sub-title:
    New model army: Sandhurst's officers of the future
    As Sandhurst marks its 200th anniversary, the prospect of active service has boosted numbers of officer cadets, but how will the military academy fare in the future?
    Link:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...he-future.html
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Over the past 50 years Sandhurst has fended off attempts by politicians to turn it into a tri-service academy training officers from the RAF and Navy as well as the Army,
    Here I would like to state that in the National Defence Academy in India we train all three services cadets together.

In various situations, combat or peace, it works marvellously when there is a hassle and one knows that one is from the same institution.

I recall an incident when we had to evacuate a boy in the High Altitude and if rules and red tape were to be enforced, it was 'no way'. It was just that a coursemate of NDA who was commanding the helicopter squadron and I rang him up and it did the trick. Much like the Old School tie stuff. It works wonders.

I also know a Colonel, who flew against rules, to save one boy in Siachen. He was sacked, but he did not regret his action, all because of Jointmanship.

Jointmanship is what they call it here.
    Last edited by Ray; 07-01-2014 at 09:52 AM.