Everyone,
I have enjoyed the discussion and insight from the group. I am an operational psychologist working at SWCS. I have worked extensively with combat veterans in areas of PTSD, mTBI, Substance Abuse, etc. I have utilized both individual and group therapy and agree that no one method is right for every single war fighter. In my experience troops seem to be more receptive to military jargon being incorporated into the therapy process. For example, instead of doing "homework" we do "missions" for the week. This may seem trivial but again the war fighters appear to like that mentality of going on a mission such as placing themselves in a crowded mall while wearing a uniform and coping with the physiological, emotional, and mental symptoms. They purposely shift their mindset to viewing it as an obstacle that they have the strength to overcome. Groups are used to process the missions, bounce ideas off one another, and hold each other accountable. Again, in my experience the war fighter appreciates a no B.S.-take-responsibility-for-your-actions kind of group. They also understand that they are not alone in what they are experiencing and can find a built in support group. I tell all my new war fighters up front that I will never say that I totally understand what they are experiencing because I am not a war fighter. I may deployed 3 times, but unless I have kicked down doors and engaged in personal combat I need to respect their experience. And I agree with marct: one needs to mix it up to find what works. I have had soldiers implement yoga, combatives, exercise, nutrition, etc. with conventional therapy. I could go on about resiliency, nature versus nurture, physiological and neurological changes, etc. but do not want to bore the group. Please let me know thoughts, especially if something needs clarification.
Thanks for what you do.
Doc