Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
Hopefully the story of his struggles with erase the perceived stigma normally associated with asking for help for mental health issues.

I'm glad GEN Ham is speaking out on this. It's an important lesson to show Soldiers that no one is immune and asking for help is OK. Obviously it hasn't been the career killer for GEN Ham that many mis-believe it to be.
Agreed, friend. Perhaps, as I have asserted through several wars now, there is no stigma in the military on friction, shell shock & battle stress; simply an extension of the natural human characteistic of focusing on the positive to the exclsion of the negative. Many maleffects are simply contextual disgreements on the fundamental nature of human conflict, war & statecraft.

In any event I personally take the General's actions as inspiration to be a better leader on the issue of health & feel a deeper commitment to the whole Trooper's whole lifetime, not simply the service he may render us on one battlefield.

We have sometimes unfortunately neglected second & third order effects of our actions. Circumspect leadership requires analysis of all potential consequences of our decisions & mitigations.