Thread: Is there a Dutch approach ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I think he says pretty much what Coined says.

And, as noted, all that has been said by many around the world. So that returns to the root of the Thread...

Is there a Dutch approach? In the sense that it is even slightly different than the approaches of others to like problems?

Coined has not, IMO, made the case this is so. Nor, I believe, does that 2006 speech -- but I'm certainly willing to be shown wrong.

More to the point, Coined also postulates "that the current way we organise our armies are residues of the past. We have to get rid of linear thinking, dogmatic and "stove piped" organisations." Who here would disagree with that.

As Rex said "make sure the jargon:insight ratio tilts heavily to the latter." Thus I'm awaiting some insights.

Council Member

Default Stripped to its essentials ...

isn't the ideal here like such. A group that has:

1. Absolute and perfect horizontal and vertical lines of communications within the group.

2. Innovation and intuition at all levels are encouraged (and in fact crucial) within the limit that all good things must come to an end - decisions must be made within time frames.

3. Expertise in specialized areas comes into the group - preferably from in-house associated groups (since then #1 comes fully into play); but if required, from outside sources.

4. Absolute in-house confidentiality as to everything known in-house (both the lead group and all associated groups), except for designated output.

5. Communications with outside sources is limited to a need to know basis for confidentiality reasons.

6. The designated in-house lead group is in charge.

Nothing new in any of this - standard practice on "big case" and "big project" matters in the legal field (e,g., Sullivan & Cromwell and Donovan-Leisure in the 60s and probably for decades before); and I expect many organizations (business, government and military) as well.

The trick is to do this within a bureaucratic framework (large law firms are bureaucratic, but can't afford to be too bureaucratic) - which is easier said than done.

Should we call this the American Approach ?

Default Definition...

Ken,

I too am looking for a better definition...thus the datapoints

It would be helpful if there was a case study of the Dutch PRT somewhere that we could review...

Regards,

Steve
    Sapere Aude

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle
    ....It would be helpful if there was a case study of the Dutch PRT somewhere that we could review...
    The Oct 08 Netherlands MoD Joint Doctrine Bulletin JDB 08/01: Provincial Reconstruction Teams Deployment in Afghanistan was made available on the CARL website in February.

Thumbs up Vivat the timezones

Late yesterday evening my time, I went to sleep and ‘try to find and post a link to JDB on Afghanistan’ was one of my last thoughts being awake. This morning, at breakfast, I just saw Jedburgh already posted it at 5.10 my time, along with this great summary. Wow, thanks, and vivat the timezones.
    Piranha, a smile with a bite