Thread: Understanding the Enemy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default West Coast a dreaming...

Yeah, I know... What else can I do? The Army decided to send me to school.

Coming of Age

When the storms come along, most people run inside the comfort and security of their homes. As a child, I thought like a child. I stepped outside and gazed. I never knew why, but I loved the storms. I simply allowed the cold rain to penetrate my soul. As a man, I think like a man, and I’m starting to understand. The true beauty of nature is contrasted in the messy, wicked, dynamic and hostile nature of the storm. The marvelous breath of God flows along. I cannot run away. I am drawn. I step outside.

When the winds brew over the Monterey Bay, everything unravels. The quiet tranquillest spins out of control. Sands spews across the beach, seagulls fight to maintain their form, sailboats sputter back and forth, and the waves crash along the shore. Zooming deep inside the periphery of the surface is another never-ending chaos. As the wave crests and slams back into the ocean, thousands of sea-creatures, plants, and organisms absorb the shock. It is neither right nor wrong; it is neither good nor bad. While most run to the safety of shelter, I am magnetically drawn to the sea. I have to stand in the chaos and absorb the Messiah’s wonder. It is who I am. In the midst of the turmoil, I am centered. For a moment, everything makes sense.

It is part of the cycle of life- the yen and yang that ebbs and flows.

Sometimes, the storm rages with Allah’s fury; sometimes, tsunamis and hurricanes form ravishing the land and consuming life. Yet, eventually they dissipate. The sun will rise the next morning, the damage assessed, recovery in process, and life moves on.

It is what it is.

I was never supposed to go into the Army. I was early acceptance to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and Duke considered me to wrestle for them. Although I was merely a product of the North Carolina public education system, I thought that one only went into the Army if one could not get accepted into college. It was the1990’s: the Clinton years, the boom of Microsoft, and the Peace Dividend in the wake of the Cold War. I was supposed to go to study business, join the fraternity, marry the sorority girl, earn an MBA, join the country club, and work my way through the social network of the good ole boy’s club until I was living on the eighteenth hole. This path was all too taken; it was all too calm.

Instead, I moved to the storm. I did not know it at the time, but I was being drawn to Zaganiyah. “I chose the path less taken. It made all the difference” (Frost). This misnomer is common about those that serve. We are not deprived; most of my boys had more degrees than me. We choose to serve, and we have no regrets. We are proud. For a moment, we become the man in the arena.

As with the natural condition of mankind, over time we swell with the pride of nationalism, disdain for our neighbors, or coveting of another’s property. In those times, we make war. From the secret jealousy of Cain to the collective madness of Hitler’s Germany, we murder one or millions. This decision is reached regardless of the state of modernity, industrialization, democracy, or rationalization- it is part of the cycle of life. John Locke’s social contract becomes void.

We enter a state of compartmentalized psychosis, and it can only be resolved by the sword.

It is what it is.

Zaganiyah reached this Break Point. After years of suffering diminished their humanity, the Sunnis of Zaganiyah turned on their brothers, the neighbors, and themselves. They banished some, occupied their homes, stole their belongings, and farmed their farms sending the produce across Iraq and into Jordan for profit. With others, they brought their children to the town square and cheered as the severed heads were displayed. They gave thanks to Allah for their victory. They gloated in their moment.

Once again, I stepped outside into the storm. I would not run away from the sound of a gun. My boys would follow. As with the witch doctors of old, I recognized this diagnosis was fatal. I would bleed it out. It nearly cost me my soul.

Default Searching, thriving for nature

Katy wrote this...

Round I walk, only questions to bide time
    Searching, longing- but for naught
    Sweet whispers of her breath call for me
    I cannot reach her. Grasping, clutching,
    Naught but hope. And so I wait,
    Aching, bleeding.
    Keep strength and rise sweet moon
    Rouse dreams of quieted passion,
    Kiss them sweetly and dance
    Let not sun send them to bed.
    Fly sweet loves, breathe her breath
    Be filled with her, she is precious.
    I will find her. By chance of quest
    I shall learn her secrets. But now
    For now, sweet whispers, sing me to sleep,
    And rise sweet moon, rouse my dreams.

Default Onward Bound....

Problems are a fact of life. They are life. So is endurance. We Sheep Dogs just need to train the Sheep a bit... - Ken White

Where do we go from here? With radical acceptance, we can discern where to intervene. Reagan alluded that we were the shining city on a hill. He never suggested that we must convert the rest of the world to suburbs. I submit that it time to take measure of others intentions whether pure or deceptive. We can only help those that first desire.

Ask not what your country, lest you are prepared for what to receive…Ask what you can do. Strive stubborn strife.

In the absence of zero-sum, eventually philosophy and abstract thought must merge towards policy. Once again, attitude is everything. Regardless of intent, desire, or virtue, we cannot help those who refuse to help themselves.

So what can we do? Sometimes the voice inside our head must scream “STOP” so we can refocus. Sometimes we simply have to feel.

Once you face death, once you overcome your fears, then you are free to live.* These are the lessons that I've learned....

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. More is less, less is more. Light in village; heavy in urban. Strykers medium fill the void. I will go in this way and find my own way out stepping outside a box never really in. Shadows subside as storms pass…Walk with me once more…For a moment, give me voice; it takes two to listen.

I apologize for my conjecture...I'm simply trying to connect the dots...

v/r

Mike

Default Divergence of Paths

In his final address, George Washington cautioned us to avoid treaties with other nations and to evade meddling within others internal affairs.

Conversely, as Andrew Jackson secured the office of the President, we evoked Manifest Destiny beginning a process of neutralizing or eradicating the ancient Native American tribes. Later, Roosevelt flaunted the Great White Fleet stirring Japan’s reach. What fire burns in such sweet sorrow that forces the perpetual dilemma?

Recently my friend inquired, “How are you so certain?* How do you know?”* I can neither express nor articulate the intuition flooding through my damaged hippocampus pouring south along the tributaries of my brain stem, channeling through my broken thyroid, and merging into my heart swelling in calm warm springs like the hot baths of Big Sur.* The dam burst.* I just know. It just is.
    In a world of uncertainty, chance and circumstance are masked by notions of reason and rationale.* Some things are best left undefined.* All things considered, some mysteries are left only to God.* They just are.* How does a squirrel know to spread the tree’s seed?* How does a rooster know when to crow?*

Does it make me crazy to believe that the dreams of my youth can unfold after all that I’ve done, all that I’ve witnessed, all that corrupted?* Certainly not.* Quite possibly, the crucible of tragedy tempers the coal melding rough and coarse into beauty sparking creative thought. Maybe we simply must let go of expectation, dream with arms wide open, breathe deeply, and embrace the storms.* The storms bring rain, but they also bring rainbows. Maybe one cannot appreciate the rainbow unless he has walked through the storm.
    This is how I know. This essay (or maybe it is simple conversation) will explore our collective national thought and attempt to expand towards a refined diplomacy and policy. I will continue to rely on my individual experience as that is my field of expertise. Hopefully, conversation will be generated and new ideas emerge.

Default Or simple emotion absent

absolute construct....

On Compassion

In mountaineering school, a Special Forces soldier learns the power of patience. A knuckle dragger would love to run up the mountain, but he will inevitably become exhausted. Instead one learns to traverse back and forth along the route in a seemingly never-ending spiral, a casual pace until the peak is reached. Henceforth, a soldier learns the power of mental toughness over physical shortcomings. We still have so much to learn.

We scaled Mount Manuel. I scanned the Big Sur website to find an appropriate day trip for hiking. As usual, I choose the most difficult trek- eight miles, 3300 feet in elevation, strenuous. My ego naturally ascends my capabilities. Five hundred meters from the summit, my legs were exhausted- stick a fork in me, I was done.

Rob reminded me that at least I can feel the pain.

Rob recently ran the Big Sur marathon, and he was surpassed by a one-legged soldier. Here’s a kid who has had his leg blown off in an IED, and he’s running a marathon. Here we are wallowing in our sorrow. I continued to walk; I did not quit.

As we continued to march, we ran across a Canuck descending the trail. It seemed like a reasonable excuse to stop and chat, and I could rest for a moment. My boy was out of water. I gave him a liter, and we continued along the path. At the crest, we paused for a moment to enjoy the view- it was simply amazing. You could see forever- the Big Sur lighthouse, the kids frolicking in the stream, the campsites, and the $1000 a night resorts. We were in nirvana. However, we did not plan for the mosquitoes. They ate away at our skin.

Reality set in.

We began the march down; we worked our way home.

An hour later, we ran into the Canuck again. He was sitting down resting in the shade. He was brawny- about six feet, a little pudge in the center, and broad shoulders. He was hiking alone. Rob and I approached with broad smiles. As we engaged in seemingly nonchalant conversation, we scanned his pupils and his complexion for signs of heat exhaustion. He was fine. He was simply tired.

After a few minutes, we determined that he was out of water. I gave him the remainder of mine. Without trying to dishonor his ego, we kindly asked if he would like to walk we us. He smiled; his face lit up, and we worked our way down the mountain. All was well.

It felt so good to help someone who was hurting. That is how I grew up. That was how I was taught. Jesus lived amongst those that suffered. As Paul instructed the restless men and women of Corinth, there are but three gifts- faith, hope and love. Yet, I constantly wrestle with the destructiveness and self-serving nature of man-so fickle. I have seen man in his most primal state, and it was not pretty. I am more betwixt than in between. I long for the tenderness of my youth.

Is this irrelevant?
    Last edited by MikeF; 04-18-2009 at 06:48 AM.

Default Desperation of Disbelief in Disregard delving….

Considering the social contract...

Perhaps love is not meant for me
    Heartache persist no matter what happens
    Maybe I’m incapable of marriage or love
    That last a lifetime

Love is neither the absence of sorrow nor grief
    Do you think I don’t desire to run from this passion that consumes?
    Let it fade,
    Restored in faith.

I’m not going anywhere
    I will wait

Intuition, passion, and creativity are double-edge
    One moment love erupts as the volcano burst
    Next, the wave crashes and the sky falls down
    Ride it out; you are strong

No doubt I weep; I will not sleep
    But rest knowing I am near

The paths have merged, no longer to diverge
    Patience is practice in perpetual peace

This to shall pass; the storm shall fade.
    Today I help you; tomorrow, you me.
    In hopes of better days
    I hope you gaze upon the star gazer lilies

At times I doubt, I am but man
    Fickle fallen forth, I do not know lest
    Frolic to and fro
    Ever more I persist

No worries all you have so do is say yes when I ask
    Thoughts tempered time to delay
    Is not the crux of every man?
    You will go in this way and find your own way out.

Thanks for words encourage.
    I’m sorry I’m out.
    Can’t be helped.
    All for tonight.

I know love. No need to talk tonight
    Just know I’m here.
    I love you with every breath. This I know.

Thank you means a lot.
    Sleep refreshingly.
    Drearily dreaming in some form of truth
    Distraught no more

In the midst of suffering,
    I embrace and enjoy you delightfulness
    I never thought it could be true
    Disregard doubt

Default On Faith, Hope, and Love...

Tempered thoughts traverse towards truth.
    Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold.
    Turning and turning evermore.
    The Falcon cannot hear the Falconer.

By saving ourselves, by saving each other; we change the world.
    Go forth to Ohio, conclude conclusion. I will wait here embracing seclusion.
    Be not long, another night goes by, missing you without reply.
    I miss you once more awaiting resolution.

To what root does seclusion cling,
    Stealing faith the water brings?
    Breathe deep and let it flow,
    For there is something you must truly know.

Entwined in fear I reach the edge, make bare my feet.
    Recall the words you said
    With heartbeat paused and all released,
    I spread my arms and make real thy feat.

Solidarity let it go,
    Seeking fortune times a throw,
    Resolution not regard
    Searching something much remark

I know not where this path will lead,
    Nor from which lofty height I soar,
    But I do know every moment,
    I love you more and more.

Last shot fired no end realized; no time for fear no time to release.
    I’m so tired lay down my gun
    Thank god such a fortunate son.
    Say a prayer for me American I be.

I think we’re going two different ways with this. You ok?

Yes and yes just let me finish truth no longer to diminish.
    Scale the sail I arise to replenish;
    Knowing knows what has been, I love you more I must transcend.
    No longer to soldier it is ok, seeking once more a bright new day.

I can’t sleep, I can’t eat,
    My heart longs the enduring love
    But what is left but to breathe your breath, taste your taste,
    feel you felt, Hear you hear, see you see me?

Once conflicted, now resolved,
    I changed the world because I changed myself
    Now nothing left,
    but to love and play as it is my right

Play with me perpetually, love with me longingly
    Walk with me the rest of days as it is our right
    I know I am right seeking God’s wisdom in new light
    Everything else fades away

May that love never end ever more we continually pray
    Fasting, dancing, rejoicing in bright new day
    Humbly now, I must accept the gift of life no longer to reject
    He saved me again and again, no longer to control

He is my friend; I am love because he loves
    Soaring together towards a life well lived
    Her perfection gleams. She requires not plastic beaming natural.
    So surreal, is she real or simply dream?

All for naught but hope
    In faith of better days
    Let us be the next greatest generation
    In the capacity that converges continually

Again, I grieve that neither fear nor greed teaches me nothing
    Transcend my friends once again
    As the streams merge in hope
    Only to pervade if you emerge the storm

Re-emerge dear friend once more
    Retreating nevermore
    As the streams converge
    Shelter from the storm

Sorry for the verse, but if you wish to merge cultures, then you must.....