Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Understanding the Enemy

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    This is an excellent point, and it is being used all the time in Iraq, say by RCT/BCT cmdrs who sit down with the sheiks and uses stories to convey a particular message they need to get across. One commander told the story of the king who had a magical sword over his head as he sat on his throne, where the sword was there to ensure he did right by his people. He was speaking to a local sheik, and trying to get the point across, subtly, that the sheik would be in store for a little pain if he didn't do right and the sword plummeted down.

We don't do as well when it is a mass-produced message though.
    Well said, Jcustis. And that actually helped me a lot...I suppose that I was hanging out with the terps too long!!! I started turning everything into a metaphor

v/r

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Well said, Jcustis. And that actually helped me a lot...I suppose that I was hanging out with the terps too long!!! I started turning everything into a metaphor

v/r

Mike

I think I picked up a similar sensitivity around Somali laborers I routinely guarded during my first OCONUS deploy.

Default Big quotes for the day: SupraRationality

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    I think I picked up a similar sensitivity around Somali laborers I routinely guarded during my first OCONUS deploy.
    In contrast to bounded rationality....sorry if it makes your brain hurt

We routinely disqualify testimony that would plead for extenuation. That is, we are so persuaded of the rightness of our judgement as to invalidate evidence that does not confirm us in it. Nothing that deserves to be called truth could ever be arrived at by such means.
    -Marilynne Robinson, The Death of Adam

There are times when you choose to believe something that would normally be considered absolutely irrational. It doesn't mean that it is actually irrational, but it is surely not rational. Perhaps it is suprarationality: reason beyond the normal definitions of fact or data-based logic; something that makes sense only if you can see a bigger picture of reality. Maybe that is where faith fits in. -Wm. Paul Young, The Shack

People who use (the words) I, my and mine have a greater risk of a heart attack," he said. "My conclusion is a more self-centered attitude makes our minds become more narrow and then even a small, tiny problem becomes unbearable. There are thousands, millions of people facing similar problems. Don't take oneself as the center of the world. Think of others, then your health will become better. That's my medicine. -Dalia Lama at Berkeley this weekend.

As a man in the Recon, paratroopers learn tried and true techniques to counter this fog and friction of life. When traversing through restricted terrain, when facing seemingly impassible obstacles, when the dark of night refuses to shed light, we stop, take a knee, listen to our surroundings, whisper amoungst each other lest the enemy hear us, pull out our map and compass, and determine our position. Then, we determine direction and distance to the next waypoint. We get back up and resume walking again.

v/r

Mike
    Last edited by MikeF; 04-27-2009 at 02:44 AM.