Thread: Reintegrating Veterans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Reintegrating Veterans

Critics and pundits are quick to point out the negative secondary and tertiary effects of how some men change upon returning from war; however, few solutions and recommendations are offered.

On the other hand, some organizations simply take action. This is one example. Yes, it is a Christian organization, but it is not pushing religion. It is simply an outreach for vets. They bring vets into their homes for a warm meal.

If y'all know of others, please share.

From talking to many civilians, most want to do something besides sending carepackages and putting yellow ribbons on their cars, but they don't know what to do. They haven't been asked to do anything by the government. So, I guess we can show them.

After experiencing it personally, I could only imagine what would happen if every family in America took one vet in for one night just to say thank you- one simple act of respect and kindness.

Pointman International

Since 1984, when Seattle Police Officer and Vietnam Veteran Bill Landreth noticed he was arresting the same people each night, he discovered most were Vietnam vets like himself that just never seemed to have quite made it home. He began to meet with them in coffee shops and on a regular basis for fellowship and prayer. Soon, Point Man Ministries was conceived and became a staple of the Seattle area. Bills untimely death soon after put the future of Point Man in jeopardy.

However, Chuck Dean, publisher of a Veterans self help newspaper, Reveille, had a vision for the ministry and developed it into a system of small groups across the USA for the purpose of mutual support and fellowship. These groups are known as Outposts. Worldwide there are hundreds of Outposts and Homefront groups serving the families of veterans.

PMIM is run by veterans from all conflicts, nationalities and backgrounds. Although, the primary focus of Point Man has always been to offer spiritual healing from PTSD, Point Man today is involved in group meetings, publishing, hospital visits, conferences, supplying speakers for churches and veteran groups, welcome home projects and community support. Just about any where there are Vets there is a Point Man presence. All services offered by Point Man are free of charge.
    v/r

Mike
    Last edited by MikeF; 04-16-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Former Member George L. Singleton's Avatar

Sounds very worthy.

All I can say here is that since we are in the process of about to start burials at our new under construction Alabama National Cemetery in Montevallo...we have more individual and organizational volunteers than we know what to do with.

We are forming an annual calendar of celebration and commemorative events, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Armistace Day (I use the old term as my Dad was the youngest American veteran of WW I, a corporal, age 14, wounded on his 15th birthday fighting in the Muse Argon, mustered out of the Army of Occupation of Germany at age 16).

We let the Birmingham VA Hospital Chaplain Service handle all religious requirements for programs, which avoids denominational preferences or favortism, but still we have volunteers coming routinely.

Our big upcoming project is to raise money for an Avenue of Flags, a standardized architectural feature at any new VA National Cemetery, but beyond that we are not yet focused.

George Singleton, USAF, Retired
    Director and Treasurer
    Support Committee for the
    Alabama National Cemetery, Montevallo, Alabama

Default SOF for Life

I'm not sure if it still exist, but SF used to have a program where veterans continued within the community working as civilians to share their knowledge with the next generation.

If the Army adopted this program, then wounded warriors or veterans would have an outlet to share lessons learned that can never be taught or derived in a field manuel from leavenworth or service school in benning.

Plus, it would help retain a sense of purpose and commitment for those that can no longer serve on the front lines.

Can you imagine a Vietnam Combat Medic or wounded Iraq Medic teaching combat life-saving skills to our soldiers? Now, that would be innovative.

v/r

Mike

Council Member

Default Here we go again

1. Reintegration programs, especially informal ones run by us private guys are critical.
    2. Formal veterans' organizations need to reinvent themselves to do the same.

BUT read the opening sentence of the article ----
    most of the guys this cop was arresting were vets. Most, not some, or a few. MOST. No wonder we're considered threats to national security.

Council Member

Regarding employment, state Vocational Rehabilitation Offices can often pick up the slack and fill the void when the VA comes up short. Voc Rehab offers all kinds of services, job placement being but one small component.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Eagle View Post
    1. Reintegration programs, especially informal ones run by us private guys are critical.

most of the guys this cop was arresting were vets. Most, not some, or a few. MOST. No wonder we're considered threats to national security.
    Nah... most of us aren't threats to national security... Old Eagle on the other hand is clearly a threat to himself and the rest of us in the greater KC area... I on the other hand am only a threat to myself
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4

Council Member

Maybe I'm out of touch. I hear lots of talk about veterans having a tough time "coping" or "reintegrating" into society. But I don't see it. I and many of my peers certainly were surprised at life in the civilian world. Most of our new civilian "peers" seem much softer and weaker than the individuals whom we associated with in the Army. But that does not mean there is a need to help us reintegrate or cope. That would be like saying we need reintegration programs for Olympic athletes who wish to return to intramural sports leagues.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Old Eagle View Post

Who considers Vets a threat to national security? I mean besides the Obama administration (sorry about bringing politics into this). I can recall the same kind of thing being said at the end of the Viet-Nam war. Well it was BS then and it's BS now. Not to say some vets don't have problems and they don't deserve all the hepl we can give them.

Subtle hint: I bet Pointman International or any related organizations would be willing to take some money, or if you so choose your time.
    /Subtle hint

Former Member George L. Singleton's Avatar

Default Veterans demographics

Someone might have handly a demographic breakdown whichd:

1: Shows where in real numbers (or extrapolated numbers) the veteran homeless population is concerntrated.

2. The VA may have some on line data to help answer #1 above and to answer what types of diagnosis (plural intended) exist on those veterans being seen from the homeless veteran population.

After any and all shooting wars, which we are certainly involved in today, it is a matter of psychological adjustment to get away from the stress of battle(s). Over time most of us adjust routinely by simply "keeping on keeping on."

Other can only adjust partially, some few never can adjust, and I would suggest it takes an outreach program specifially for homeless veterans to work with the tough core of complicated problems psychologal (mental health) as well as literal physical needs (dental, illnesses, RX needs for to be established actual medical diagnoses).

The VA alone is not the data source on homeless veterans today vs. the not for profit and for profit hospitals and outpatient clinics, including psychiatric/psychological counseling programs, but I believe the VA remains the best single data source.

Perhaps the US Public Health Service might be a best secondary data source as they should (?) be able to add data to the VA homeless data base without double counting veterans by simply using screen out duplication via any veteran patient's SSN.