Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
Wasn't that the same empire that dissolved when the conquered folks who were doing the administering decided that they'd rather administer it themselves, and got less willing? Not likely anyone's going to fool them again. Besides, why on earth would the US want to conquer anyone or build a huge empire? Seems pointless, anachronistic, and horribly expensive...
I think you are reading issues much more than what is stated.

No one is saying that the US is out to conquer anyone. In the contemporary world, it would be laughable and totally ridiculous to believe Empires could be created.

It requires another thread and some other time to understand why the British quit the Empire, but that is not the aim of this thread nor was it the aim of my post. I fail to understand why you have brought that up, unless you wish to make it a debating point, though I find no connection.

The aim of my post to which you have replied was to indicate to put it, hopefully, easier for comprehension and briefly is:

1. Even though the British initially had no idea of the culture of the people they conquered, nevertheless could control and administer the locals, whose population was much greater than the British in each colony. Does speaks volumes for the British colonial philosophy .

2. It speaks volumes for the manner in which they learnt the culture etc of the country and set to rest any misgivings of the locals.

Therefore, others could learn their ways and adjust it to the modern contemporary situation!

Indeed, the locals wanted to administer themselves. The reason is not that hard to find - they had got education and the world had changed! Democracy, universal suffrage, revolutions etc were taking place and there was a greater interaction between peoples of the world taking place. People, thus, realised their rights!

Yet, give it to the British what is their due - there was no revolution against the British that forced them to leave their colonies; and they had a whole lot of them! Not one revolution!!!!!

They left with honour and what is more the erstwhile British colonies have no bad blood with what was called the 'Mother Country' and that is why we still have the Commonwealth and still have our ties with Britain. It was but a few days ago, the last Commonwealth Head of Govt Meeting (CHOGM) concluded in Australia!!

The Queen of UK remains the head of the Commonwealth.

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/conte...1/s3351123.htm

Much to learn from the British, if one wants to rule the waves!!