Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Topic Needed: International Law Research Paper

Quote Originally Posted by LawVol View Post
    I recently came across an issue regarding the new cyber mission. An examination of the inter-relation between titles 10, 18, and 50 of the US Code with respect to the authority necessary for a cyber unit to do its job within the US. The Coast Guard was suggested as a potential model to follow given their dual mission. Bottom line is that cyber duties may be viewed as a hybrid between national security and law enforcement so this needs to be settled prior to something big happening because when it does it'll move at light speed with no time for quite reflection. If you get into anything close to this, I'd appreciate you sharing the knowledge.

John I have a graduate student doing exactly that kind of analysis. Send me your new email via PM and I'll send you the paper. Getting a lawyers eyes on it, knowing our discussions at Mitchell, you might get a kick out of it.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

Default Of course, they did ....

from OE
    JMM's Finnish friends [JMM: and relatives too - can't forget them] abrogated the Treaty of Mutual Friendship & Cooperation w/ the former Soviet Union and a couple of key articles of their WWII peace treaty after the collapse of the FSU.
    cuz thems was contracts formed under duress - standard legal principle allowing nullification of a contract.[*] Finns would never do anything illegal, would they ?

---------
    [*]
    Of course, nullification would not be a smart move where the opponent's capacity to apply duress still exists. Finns aren't that dumb, are they ?

Besides we've been nullifying treaties with the Novgorodians since we moved the border over a few klicks (well, a bit more than a few klicks) to build the fortress of Savonlinna in 1475 - besides the Novgorodians couldn't read the 1323 Pähkinäsaaren rauha anyway, so who could argue with our interpretation.

In fact, we moved the border a century earlier (as the Wiki reminded me) by building Oulunlinna in 1375 - later involving an ancestor (Henrik Olofsson, f. c. 1597, bonde på Nordman 1621-1674. År 1671 var han till Uleåborg för att mottaga arv efter sin broder slottsvaktmästaren [the castle guard master] Jakob Olofsson, som dött där).

The secret in abrogating treaties is to know when to do it.

Default US AG on the rule of law in CT

Schmedlap,

Check this speech out by the US Attorney General, entitled National Security and the Rule of Law in Combating International Terrorism, it might help: http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/t...07.php?CID=453

Yet to read it, so if standard fare apologies.

davidbfpo