Thread: Studies on radicalization & comments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    The demands of the vocal few rarely reflect the reasonable concerns of the groups the claim to represent. One must look past the noise to hear the sounds that really matter. One also must attempt to step back from the bias of their own perspective to hear those sounds clearly.

Too often what I see is a highly biased listener who is overly focused on the express words of that vocal few.

(My own Yank bias showing - didn't realize the UK was not part of Europe). ��
    My caveat maybe a bias, but I cannot reasonably comment on the situation in Europe on these issues.

You can make a good case that the UK is struggling to adjust at home to the changes seen in the last forty years and that the 'disaffected' are legion, not just Muslims. The far larger disaffected pool can be seen in many ways: declining political participation, single issue pressure groups, the call for independence, ineffective governance and more. Rarely spoken about has been a steady rate of emigration, so Brits make up one of the largest expat communities - IIRC second after Mexicans.

Some see similar patterns in the USA - which has found expressions on SWC before in at least one thread, if not more.

A small group of Muslims in favour of the violent jihad exploit that within their own communities as they have no traction beyond. Their activities have led to arguably greater security and less liberty - which affects all citizens, not just the 'disaffected' or Muslims alone.
    davidbfpo

The Danish security forces are of course for obvious reasons still stilent on many aspects of the latest attacks so there are many blanks yet to be filled. It seems that the terrorist was born in Denmark as a son of Palistinian immigrants. He was possibly radicalized in jail but it is of course early days:

Michael Gjorup, head of the country's prison and probation service, told Danish media that authorities were concerned about changes in El-Hussein's behaviour in prison and passed on information to Danish intelligence before the attack.

The head of Danish intelligence, Jens Madsen, acknowledged that El-Hussein had been "on the radar" of his services.

Mr Madsen said investigators were working on the theory that he could have been inspired by the shootings in Paris last month.
    The story of a criminal of arabic descent, Islamic faith and a background of violence becoming a terrorist sounds quite familiar. It is obviously important to point out the tiny amount of terror attacks compared to the population(s) as a whole.

Some also put flowers at the place where police shot the suspect dead. One told Danish TV2: "I did it because I am Muslim and because I knew him."
    I'm pretty sure that the persons with question will get checked. As I stated before such signals given by the persons themselves mean that they are far more likely to be a potential threat as a person from the same demographic background. However as the terrorist in question has shown even if somebody is on the radar for excellent reasons due to some big red flags attacks can still happen.

P.S: Once again the internet dragnet by Western intelligence played seemingly no part in flagging the terrorist.
    Last edited by Firn; 02-16-2015 at 05:41 PM.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

General Ludwig Beck (1880-1944);
    Speech at the Kriegsakademie, 1935

So, just curious, what percentage of American colonists in support of revolution were "radicalized" by the words of Sam Adams and Thomas Paine; versus those who were radicalized by the actions of British governance and discrimination?

Was this man radicalized while he was in prison, or because of why he perceived he was in prison??
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    Was this man radicalized while he was in prison, or because of why he perceived he was in prison??
    Perhaps we will never know but I'm pretty sure this is a question which gets asked in Western security services.

The Guardian has a short profile which as often asks more question then it gives answers.

Past the children’s play areas of the estate, Emilie Hansson, 26, who is half Swedish, said she knew El-Hussein and had seen him at the estate last week. She said: “For me he’s not a terrorist. He’s someone who felt finished with life and decided to go out with a big bang.” An 18-year-old at school nearby said he thought those who knew El-Hussein had been shocked he could have carried out the attacks.
    He had certainly some of the more common traits of European citiziens going to Syria. Perhaps most importantly he was an unemployed young loser of Islamic faith with a certain ethnic and criminal background.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

Firn,

On Twitter there were several references to this man being involved a random act of violence, possibly with a knife and he was released two weeks ago after serving an incredibly short jail sentence.

On my second reading The Guardian does refer to this:
    where he was serving a two-year sentence for stabbing a 19-year-old man on Copenhagen’s inner-city train system. He had been released from prison only two weeks before the attacks in Copenhagen this weekend.
    Wiki has this:
    he only served one year out of his two year prison sentence
    davidbfpo

Without knowing the circumstances one year does seem indeed little, especially if his change in behaviour in prison brought him seemingly on the radar of the Danish security services. Lots of speculation of course.

An important aspect of the two recent attacks is in my humble opinion is the use of (illegal) automatic rifles. As I wrote before gun violence in Europe is very rare, especially the use of (semi)automatic rifles. In the US handguns dominate, on a considerable higher overall level, gun violence as well. Keep in mind that in many European countries access to semiautomatic rifles on military patterns is quite easy, for example in Italy. Objectively the majority of the population can buy such weapons with practically zero problems. This might surprise some, personally I 'found out' about that aspect only after the Sandy Hook Shooting. Keep in mind that I hunt, so maybe I should have known better.

So far I read little about the origin of the weapons as the security forces are clearly trying to map out their trails.
    Last edited by Firn; 02-16-2015 at 07:51 PM.

The greasegun is a super cheap .45 cal submachine gun developed by the US to arm revolutionary and resistance fighters with who's actions we thought would advance our interests. We did not radicalize those fighters, that had already been accomplished by the occupying powers and the illegitimate regimes established by those powers to support their agendas.

Point being, who gave this guy a weapon is interesting, but it doesn't have much to do with why he used it.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)