Thread: Why do liberal professors hate the military?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Along the lines of Hacksaw's story

I took several courses in Pol. Sci. from a very liberal professor in the early 70s. Our classroom "discussions" became famous within the department. But he graded me on mastery of facts and reasoning, and I got Bs in his courses.

On the other hand, I also had several professors (even back then) who graded on ... if not "ideological purity," then on whether my work demonstrated an ability to regurgitate what they said. Hard to tell the difference - especially when you get hammered for predicting the USSR won't last out the century.

As to the OP, along the lines of Bob's post, I've noticed in conversation with friends (yes, really) who are liberal/left academics, that they don't understand or relate to conservative values, and the military is nothing if not the embodiment of conservative values.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Hi JW,

Quote Originally Posted by J Wolfsberger View Post
    As to the OP, along the lines of Bob's post, I've noticed in conversation with friends (yes, really) who are liberal/left academics, that they don't understand or relate to conservative values, and the military is nothing if not the embodiment of conservative values.
    I think it might be worthwhile to contextualize that a bit as in "In the US". I know a lot of Canadians who, by US standards, would described as extreme left wing (morally) who are "pro-military". Hell, by US standards, I would be considered as "dangerously left-wing", and I hang out with you guys !!!!!
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/