Hi everyone

Thank you for replying to my post before on "appreciation for the military from civilians." I learned that you folks in uniform work in beauracries like those of us in academia, and also have to earn a living to buy bread and eat

I just started reading Gen. Petraeus's dissertation on "The American Military and the Lessons of Vietnam: A study of Military Influence and the Use of Force in the Post-Vietnam Era." Gen. Petraeus's is amazing in his scholarship and depth of knowledge, but what surprises me more is the sense of realism in his work. I noticed that people in the armed forces, at least from what I understand on this forum, are a lot of realistic, seeing reality for what it is, instead of seeming to live in their heads like those of us in academia.

I like what Petraeus said about "perceptions" people have of reality, instead of what reality really is or "objective reality." Why can't those of us in academia have a healthy dose of reality? I will be honest: if I speak out against the liberalism so prevalent in academia I would probably be shunned by my peers. I feel I can be far more honest with you folks on small wars journal, then my fellow academics.

I don't like living in my head. I want to see the world for what it is. Maybe that makes me strange compared to other academics Here is my question for you folks in uniform: the situations of Iraq and Afghanistan are clearly different than Vietnam. You guys in Afghanistan are trying to help the Afghan people rebuild their lives, so that the conditions that give rise to war are stopped. That is real social justice and caring. I read in Time magazine last week that Admiral Mike Mullen, the Joint Chiefs of Staff was trying to help the Afghan people establish farming.

Could you imagine my reaction!? An admiral of all people, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, this nation's highest ranked military officer works with the Afghan people himself and cares about them! Why don't we academics or civilians hear about this kind of thing? Why do liberal professors continue to cling to outdated ideas of the military from Vietnam, instead of understanding that the military wants to help people rebuild their lives? The example of Admiral Mike Mullen proves what real social justice is. Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?

Naomi