Thread: Number of crossing points on AfPak border

Default Number of crossing points on AfPak border

All,

I am doing some research into the AfPak border but having trouble finding credible, citeable data.

1) Approximately how many crossing points are there on the AfPak border (roads or common trails)?

2) How many of those are manned?

The one source I have found is an NPS thesis by a Pak LTC who claims Pakistan mans 665 border checkpoints w/75,000 troopsand Afghanistan mans 55 with far less <2000. However, he places no cite for his data.

Any help appreciated, with citeable sources greatly appreciated.

Niel
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Default PSRU plus

Niel,

Try: http://spaces.brad.ac.uk:8080/display/ssispsru/Home they have a mass of research reports, many written by Pakistanis and on a quick scan no immediate answers. You could always try an email to them to ask.

The new Pakistani Foriegn Minister on a trip to the UK in his official speech referred to the issue; try the IISS website in case his speech is still there. Cannot locate notes I took easily.

davidbfpo

Speaking for Nangarhar Province, there are three official crossing points, Torkham (the main artery for ISAF supplies) being one of them. One is a few kilometers north along the Kabul River and one is a few kilometers south (I can't recall their names at the moment). Torkham has a large contingent of ABP (Afghan Border Police) and ACP (Afghan Customs Police), and the other two checkpoints have small garrisons. I would estimate about 9 main ratlines spread out through the rest of the province. The ratlines pass through the border mountains. Three or four have ABP observation posts located several kilometers into Afghanistan, in the foothills areas, that somewhat overlook their paths. These OPs are severely undermanned. (But they have the Afghan flag flying over them, so never fear, the area is secure! )

Default One source/answer:

No Sign until the Burst of Fire: Understanding the Pakistan-Afghanistan Frontier, by Thomas H. Johnson and M. Chris Mason. International Security, Vol. 32, No. 4 (Spring 2008), pp. 41–77. (PDF)

According to Pakistani officials, two “established” border crossings handle the bulk of legal daily cross-border traffic: Torkham, in the north at the end of the Khyber Pass, and Chaman in the south. Both are manned by officials of the Pakistani customs service and the Federal Investigative Agency as well as by Levies.4 Another twenty “frequented” border-crossing routes are manned by customs officials, Khassadars, and Levies.5 There are also 111 “unfrequented” (illegal and known) and unmanned crossings in the north and 229 such crossing areas in the south.6 Unaccounted for in this typology of border crossings are hundreds of foot and goat paths used by smugglers, locals, and nomads (i.e., Brahui and Afghan Kuchis), who seasonally cross the border with their herds.8 The vast majority of these crossings are uncharted and are not monitored by either Islamabad or Kabul.
    (Page 4)