Thread: McKiernan replaced

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Helogrunt View Post
    A lot of great points on SOF vs Conventional thinking. Also, some great background on LGEN McCrystal. However, we (US decision makers) may have missed asking the pertinent questions; What is victory in Afghanistan and how do we accomplish this victory? If it is "to kill AQ and Taliban leadership", then LGEN McCrystal is the man for the job. Having worked in direct support of him in Iraq, he understands how to hunt and capture/kill. The cost of the "to kill" strategy is we will never declare victory. We will only create advancement opportunities for the continually disenfranchised. Capture/killing AQI and insurgent leadership in Iraq was a very small, although vital, piece to stabilizing that country. I spent every morning for a year listening to Gen Petreaus giving his guidance and intent; most of which did not focus on the kinetic operation. Does the US have LOO's other than "capture/kill"? Is it possible to effectively execute those LOOs given the disparate and often chaotic command structure that is Afghanistan? Does LGEN McCrystal have the skills required to see beyond the kinetic, forge command partnerships, force mission focus, and facilitate the development of Afghan forces (civil and military) that support rule of law and allow hope to grow within the citizenry? David Killcullen was interviewed by George Packer of [I]The New Yorker[I] in Nov 08, and Bill Rogio of The Long War Journal 5 May 09 are just two of several folks who identify key issues well beyond the kinetic fight. Semper Fidelis
    Good points made above in a more pointed way than my earlier sarcasm.
    One could hope that the kinetic piece will be backed up by the clear and hold, WHAM techniques. That would fuse the best of the methods espoused by the current CENTCOM CG while in IZ and his new subordinate/near peer while in IZ as well (I used near peer as I'm not sure of the rank protocols for the ISAF Commander nor am I sure that McC gets to wear that hat too). But, then, hope is not a method, is it?
    Last edited by wm; 05-12-2009 at 06:12 PM.
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    The greatest educational dogma is also its greatest fallacy: the belief that what must be learned can necessarily be taught. — Sydney J. Harris