Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
Snitching means snitching on one's neighbor, or someone related to a neighbor or friend. It's not like you are giving up a "criminal" --- you're giving up someone you know. Especially for nonviolent crimes, or crimes related to the drug trade, there's not much of a personal incentive to give up anyone.
According to the report I watched, the "snitcher" wasn't a local, but a person from another part of town. He was set to testify in a murder trial as the key witness, but was murdered in front of his children.

And I disagree, I think there is major glorification of criminals in the inner-city culture. Listen to rap music sometime.

Of course there wouldn't be a "stop snitching" phenomenon if there weren't a lot of snitches out there, the vast majority of whom cannot be confused with your average citizen. The most common snitches are, of course, those swept up for relatively minor drug offenses who try to trade out of their sentences to go up the chain.
I happen to like snitches. I don't like criminals.

And there is of course the natural human response to defy authority and maintain group loyalty. Police officers are notably reticent to snitch on their corrupt and/or brutal colleagues, of course, and so are soldiers. The basic impulse shouldn't be alien to anyone here.
I fail to see the comparison. If I "snitched" on a fellow Soldier, it would be because he was doing something to jeapordize our mission or other Soldiers' lives. Not because I get satisfaction from "snitching".