Thread: Ummm Uniform Changes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What's that old saying.....

Perception is reality. I always say that depends on the perspective and mine is usually from an alternate reality when I'm getting that saying shoveled down my throat.

At least they can't pin this one on us SF uniform infractioneer types!

I have to admit I like the way the thread has been headed. Positive reinforcement for doing the right thing, not additional ridicule. Wonder if he knows about the old SWJ? Might have to do some AKO searching and put a little birdie in his ear.

Multiple priceless jokes come to mind.......
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.

Council Member

Default What would they say ...

if the kid slept without underwear ?

I watched a little discussion about this on one of the cable news channels. "During WWII the press never depicted our soldiers like this". I was speechless. This guy is actually very well dressed and equipped compared to many photos I have seen from WWII. The best thing about this is I suspect the NYT was "perhaps" trying to humiliate or degregate the military in general by putting this on the front page. It sort of blew up in their faces if true. I mean the young man is from Texas and he's got I Love NY all over his rump.
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

Council Member

Grunts will be grunts and I would expect to see some stubble on their jaws as well but I have to say, that guy in the middle has damn skinny ankles - he's been humping too big of a combat load.

Default HOOAH Mr. Secretary

Good call!

Gates Hails Soldier Snapped in Pink Boxer Shorts

Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Thursday praised an Army soldier in eastern Afghanistan who drew media attention this month after rushing to defend his post from attack while wearing pink boxer shorts and flip-flops, Reuters reported.

Gates said in prepared remarks that he wants to meet the soldier and shake his hand the next time he visits Afghanistan.

"Any soldier who goes into battle against the Taliban in pink boxers and flip-flops has a special kind of courage," Gates said in a speech to be delivered in New York.

"I can only wonder about the impact on the Taliban. Just imagine seeing that: a guy in pink boxers and flip-flops has you in his cross-hairs. What an incredible innovation in psychological warfare," he said.

Council Member

The outrage would have been vicious and vile from the Public had this young man experienced any retribution of any kind for his rapid response to enemy aggression. I like to think a politician or two would have had their necks stretched somewhere in the nation had this occured.

Council Member

I'm amazed that anyone would expect anything other than kudos for a Soldier who has his priorities straight. Get dressed or react to contact?

It is baffling to me that this is anything more than a funny photo on the internet - that people in the NYT and the SECDEF have actually taken the time to comment on it. The only thing odd about this photo is that there aren't more photos like this from Iraq/Afghanistan. I can't count the number of times that I've seen Soldiers jump off their cot half dressed, don their protective gear, and head to the nearest fighting position.

This is like taking a photo of a Soldier eating an MRE and expressing surprise at what he's doing.