Hello to all. My name is Capt David Ortiz (USMC). I am a military training team chief who has been tasked with training a newly formed Iraqi Marine Corps (IqM). What make this mission unique is that the Iraqi Navy has expressed a desire to create an Iraqi Marine Corps that is versatile and capable of operating in a joint battle space as a light infantry unit, not a specialized naval infantry unit. In my research, I have found that similar efforts were attempted in 2004 and 2005, however, I am still attempting to gain knowledge of the scope of the effort. From what I have learned so far, the work and training done in 04 and 05 has not endured with the Iraqis.

My team’s Mission is to assist the Iraqi’s in creating a sustainable IqM ethos and light infantry skills. A biggest step that has occurred is that the Iraqi senior leadership has expressed a keen desire for this type of force. My team must now help facilitate its execution and help to ensure the middle management in the IqM has bought into this concept.

We have been tasked to assist the IqM in the development of an ethos that will make them different than the Army. What we have to figure out is how best to assist in doing this without creating an USMC solution to the problem. While we are both Marine units, the core values that motivate US Marines do not necessarily cross cultural boundaries and motivate the IqM’s.

While my team and I have some ideas and methods, we are looking for any advice anyone might have on how to assist the IqM in developing a POI that will build this ethos that will endure after we leave.

Any thoughts, ideas, points of contact, or experiences are appreciated.

V/R
Capt Ortiz