Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building an Iraqi Marine Corps

Default Building an Iraqi Marine Corps

Hello to all. My name is Capt David Ortiz (USMC). I am a military training team chief who has been tasked with training a newly formed Iraqi Marine Corps (IqM). What make this mission unique is that the Iraqi Navy has expressed a desire to create an Iraqi Marine Corps that is versatile and capable of operating in a joint battle space as a light infantry unit, not a specialized naval infantry unit. In my research, I have found that similar efforts were attempted in 2004 and 2005, however, I am still attempting to gain knowledge of the scope of the effort. From what I have learned so far, the work and training done in 04 and 05 has not endured with the Iraqis.

My team’s Mission is to assist the Iraqi’s in creating a sustainable IqM ethos and light infantry skills. A biggest step that has occurred is that the Iraqi senior leadership has expressed a keen desire for this type of force. My team must now help facilitate its execution and help to ensure the middle management in the IqM has bought into this concept.

We have been tasked to assist the IqM in the development of an ethos that will make them different than the Army. What we have to figure out is how best to assist in doing this without creating an USMC solution to the problem. While we are both Marine units, the core values that motivate US Marines do not necessarily cross cultural boundaries and motivate the IqM’s.

While my team and I have some ideas and methods, we are looking for any advice anyone might have on how to assist the IqM in developing a POI that will build this ethos that will endure after we leave.

Any thoughts, ideas, points of contact, or experiences are appreciated.

V/R
    Capt Ortiz

Council Member

a 10% better pay rate, single men only, distinct uniforms, boots and hair cuts ( high and tight for instance), old Corps style boot camp training, the way it was during 'Nam and before 'Nam - let the lads do knuckle push ups on gravel until their hands bleed to see if they really want to be Iraqi Marines - no leave during boot camp and infantry training unless a true emergency, Muslim only, 1/2 day total slack time on Prayer day with easy duty the rest of the day with mandatory Mosque attendance, better chow than the average units but spartan barracks, as much as possible an isolated training site, small cash bonus upon completion of initial training then a major PR blitz if the intial group can get up and running and blooded fast.

If the Koreans can do it, so can the Iraqis. Semper Fi ~

Default Creating esprit-de-corps from scratch.

Sounds like you have a very daunting, and somewhat politically sensitive, task ahead of you.

One difficulty is the lack of any tradition to leverage upon, Iraq not being a maritime power with a significant naval history. Also, the only previous “Marine” unit was the Marine Brigade attached to the As Saiqa Special Forces Division of the Iraqi Republican Guard. Probably not an organization you would want to draw any traditions from.

Aside from basic light infantry training you have to build a mystique about them. Make them look and feel different from the run of the mill military, just as the Corps does. As you note, grafting USMC core values and traditions might not be the best way (hopefully some of our sociologists and anthropologists may offer to assist).

Since you are starting literally from scratch a good example to perhaps leverage on might be that of General Rollet, known as the father of the Legion. Between WW I and WW II he noticed that the French Foreign Legion was languishing, discipline was poor, and there was talk of disbanding it. So he went about creating several traditions in the Legion: The white kepi as the signature headgear of the Legion and the green tie, epaulets, and blue sash as distinctive parts of the dress uniform. The annual celebration of Cameron was also one of his initiatives.

So some esprit-de-corps suggestions (beyond the basic instruction as light infantry):

Have a very distinctive dress uniform and utility uniform items that distinguish the IqM from all other branches. One thing the French do is “dress up” their cammies by wearing items from their dress uniform with them: the kepi, ribbons, epaulets, etc… This is also done by other militaries. Hold them to a high standard of personal appearance.

Some traditions from the Legion here.

Have distinctive guidons for the units (the USMC ones are a bit plain). Leverage on traditional Iraqi and Islamic symbolism (the crescent and star), and colors (green and black). Whoever designed the MNF-I patch was very cognizant of these.

Create a “code of honor” and a distinctive motto.

Create songs or music if appropriate.

Try to look at past Iraq military units (to include the Republican Guard) to see how they were motivated. Leverage on the history of Iraq to create traditions to be honored.

Have distinctive “holidays” that your Marines will celebrate.

Also, teach them the history of our Corps and other Marine units around the world and make them feel to be part of a very special brotherhood of arms that extends far beyond Iraq.

Inculcating in them a high level of pride in Iraq and the IqM is probably what will carry over once you leave.

If you need any assistance I would be glad to help.

Good luck and Semper Fi!
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Capt Ortiz,

When did you come on mission, and who did you relieve? I ask because I have a company commander in our battalion who just came off a JMD assignment (in Umm Qasr IIRC) dealing with similar issues, and I believe he has already written a white paper about these very issues that made it's way into the hands of the CG for 1 MARDIV. I think the two of you need to talk if you have not already met. He may not have dealt with ethos issues, but he sure is passionate about it all and may have addressed some of the issues already.

Please shoot me a PM with a reply about the first two questions above, and I might be able to help.
    Last edited by jcustis; 05-20-2009 at 05:39 AM.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Default TREAT Esprit de Corps WITH extreme caution!!

While I agree with the intent of what some here are saying, I would offer a very strong note of caution.

As Umar Al-Mokhtār correctly notes, you do not want to graft on USMC values. Values are a reflection of culture and culture is very dangerous stuff to play around with. I would merely observe the following - and this is OPINION, not fact.

a.) Do not force a culture upon them. Let one grow. The USMC did not invent it's culture. It took 200 years to grow what you see today.
    b.) What you can control is the training and the type of man who can complete it successfully. Their culture will become the unit culture. Hard training creates strong bonds, if that training emphasises strong individuals working as a team, then Yallah! ...
    and Not everyone can be a Marine, so it must be hard, but also rational eg - Who cannot, not who can.

c.) Core values are essential, BUT you can't invent core values. You can present them and see which ones get picked up and which ones get sustained. You can't have "Courage" as a Core value. It's meaningless. Core values have to build on what is there already, or that which can be proved to have real worth.
    d.) Do not glorify being "Light Infantry," as an element of culture. Emphasise that the role/work/task requires operating on foot, WHEN REQUIRED - and as Marines, they can't walk on water!!
    e.) As Marines - and part of the Navy! - I would suggest emphasising a role that requires working at sea and on land. The Army does LAND WARFARE. The "Marines" do those infantry tasks which require the skill and confidence to work within, on and close to water/sea/rivers - so all Marines, can
    • Swim
    • Climb
    • Understand and work around the sea/rivers/marsh and boats.

...and while I understand the need for Berets, haircuts and all other forms of fancy dress, I would emphasise dressing in the way the job demands. And if you are dead set on fancy dress, I'd ditch anything western, like a Beret, and let them wear Kefyah or Shemagh, made from a distinctive fabric - and I'd let them decide, once they've been going a few months/years.

I know this is all pretty banal and obvious stuff, but it may merit some thought.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default Agree and disagree...

Wilf - completely agree on your points about caution being taken in being highly sensitive to cultural norms while trying to develop esprit-de-corps. Certainly a robust, rigerous, and highly challenging training program will go a long ways towards building unity and fostering esprit-de-corps.

I do disagree on a few uniform points however. True, it is important for the IqM to have a utilitarian utility uniform and quality military training that both instructs and bonds the unit. But "fancy dress" is also very important. Look at the US Marines' recruiting, it prominently features dress blues, a uniform we rarely ever wear (I typically wore it once a year, at the MC Ball). But it projects an image and sets Marines distinctly apart from the other services.

One should never underestimate the power of "fancy dress" or more appropriately distinctive items of wear which distinguish one as separate from the rest, and the member of an elite. This is where you leverage on the tribal element that exists in all cultures. If "fancy dress" wasn't important then all of our services (and those of all other countries) would wear the exact same uniform with no distinguishing features.

As to wearing of the Kefyah or Shemagh, that might be pushing a bit of politically sensitive areas, given that they are popular headgear for the PLO and Hamas. The historian in me says it might be the right headgear culturally and historically, but in these PC times might not be acceptable. Berets do seem to be common headgear in the Iraqi armed forces and police, so why not.

Napoleon attributed much importance to the power of symbolism in insignia, uniforms, and flags and how they impacted moral. When he designed the Legion of Honor he supposedly noted "it is with such baubles that men are led" and also quipped "a man won't sell you his life, but he'll trade it to you for a little piece of ribbon."

The challenge of course is finding the right balance of both.
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Default The fanciness of the uniform will attract some

people and it will repel others. Basic unit values mean more than attire to some while to others the uniform or items of it are extremely important. USMC dress blues are an example, so is a maroon or green beret -- but there are some folks wearing all three who would keep doing what they're doing if you told them they had to wear a kilt and no cover in the wintertime -- and there are those who wear a kilt that will fight you for the ability to do that.

People are different, fancy attracts some, repels others while many can take it or leave it -- none of them are wrong.

Competence at a job OTOH attracts more respect than uniforms attract admiration.

Default Agree...

that competence at a job is ultimately the base upon which unit cohesion and esprit-de-corps is built. And that competency (and also mystic) holds far greater appeal when your institution is 230 plus years old and can point to places like Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Khe Sanh, Fallujah, etc to prove your proficiency, experience, and just general kickassedness.

At issue here, however, is the task to build an "elite" military organization virtually from scratch with absolutely no significant history or competency to draw from (worse when the only potential competency, history, and tradition is now a regime in total disfavor). I posit that, while under our present circumstances the Corps’ competency attracts more respect than its uniforms attract admiration (and is more important), when trying to “jump start” an “elite” organization one must attract with other means, besides just money. Perhaps we today just take for granted the power of symbology to inspire and motivate, which is what most modern dress uniforms leverage upon.

Capt Ortiz is trying to build an organization that will last well beyond his tour of duty, yet already in past efforts has proven to whither and die. Why is that? Granted there are numerous other factors in that equation, key of which is probably that there was/is no cadre of Marines assigned for any significant length of time to this effort, ones who will provide some measure of continuity throughout the birthing process. So what previous competencies can the nascent IqM leverage upon to attract quality motivated recruits?

While a hefty pay check would certainly attract many into the ranks are they who we want? I didn’t enlist for the paycheck, I enlisted because of the four services the Marines had more mystic, elitism, and a really sharp uniform (I was 17 and impressionable, as many teenagers still are today). One problem is those things are not thus far present in the as yet to be formed IqM.

So if one were sitting in Tun Tavern in 1775, what would one do? I’d come up with a snazzy grass green uniform with sparkling white facings and a smart, jaunty cover turned up on one side so that we look oh so much more different that those slobs wearing blue and buff with those silly tricornered hats.

The IqM uniform doesn't have to be fancy, but it should be highly distinctive and very different from those Army and Navy types.

Quote Originally Posted by Umar Al-Mokhtār View Post
    As to wearing of the Kefyah or Shemagh, that might be pushing a bit of politically sensitive areas, given that they are popular headgear for the PLO and Hamas. The historian in me says it might be the right headgear culturally and historically, but in these PC times might not be acceptable. Berets do seem to be common headgear in the Iraqi armed forces and police, so why not.
    I was thinking more Arab Legion,

... and yes, the irony of me even engaging in this thread....
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default I actually...

recomended to Capt Ortiz that he look into the Arab Legion as it might provide him with some insights as to how Peake and Glubb worked on training and instilling esprit-de-corps into their troops.

While berets certainly seem to have become de rigueur in Iraq it would be nice if the Iraqi armed forces returned to their traditional headgear and like the Legion have Kefyah in special designs for various units. That would be pretty cool.

South Vietnam had a Marine Corps, right?
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

Default Yeah -- and they were pretty good.

Why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Culpeper View Post
    South Vietnam had a Marine Corps, right?
    Yes, and they were made (akin to the Philippine Marine Corps) in our image, which is not what we are trying to do here...perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    Yes, and they were made (akin to the Philippine Marine Corps) in our image, which is not what we are trying to do here...perhaps.
    Having looked at the Royal Thai Marine Corps pretty closely, I am not sure the USMC model travels that well. Thai culture doesn't make it easy and I think Iraqi culture would present real problems.

Personally - and I have NO dog in this fight - I'd see them more as a type of River Commando Force, or Fleet Protection Group, or something like Commachio. OK so Iraq does not have Nukes, but change nukes for Oil platform and that may be a start.

Council Member

OK, so somebody explain to me why in the wide, wide world of sports we need to create another army in Iraq.

Capt Ortiz has already explained that they are not to be naval infantry, just "different". Huh? Better faster shinier?

Council Member

- well, this civilian's outside opinion is worth about .001 but every time I see Iraqi army troops on TV, they come across as somehow hesitant or something, a little light on their feet so to speak, reminds me of the ARVNs of S. Viet Nam, not a lot of grit but there are bound to be some solid Iraqi units, just not enough of them. I don't have any answers but I wonder how many Iraqi soldiers are in it for the pay check, steady income for the family? I would think an Iraqi Marine Corps would seek to instill some esprit de corps, pride in sacrifice and ability with the paycheck being secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Eagle View Post
    OK, so somebody explain to me why in the wide, wide world of sports we need to create another army in Iraq.

Capt Ortiz has already explained that they are not to be naval infantry, just "different". Huh? Better faster shinier?
    The man in charge of the Iraqi Navy wants a another budget stream? This is a Navy you are talking about. Why are you applying logic?

Seriously, my understanding of Naval Infantry, based on the Royal Navy, is they are sailors who are also trained as infantry, so anything that is not that would seem to be within bounds. Logically I can only see a role for some kind of Fleet Protection Group or proper Navy SF/Combat Swimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Eagle View Post

I didn't want to ask that question, b/c it seems from CPT Ortiz's info that the die has been cast, and the Iraq gov't wants this, whether it's a good idea or not.

They didn't ask our advice on whether or not they should do it, they asked for help with execution. To that end, I think there have been some good suggestions for CPT Ortiz here (I especially like the very first response, brusque tho it was). The policy debate before the mission was handed to him seems to have ended a while ago.

My gut is certainly with you - this is a waste of Iraqi time and money, and USMC effort - but given that no one asked me, I'm like the others here, trying to answer a question that shouldn't've been asked to start with, in teh hopes that we can help a Marine do a good job downrange.
    Brant
    Wargaming and Strategy Gaming at Armchair Dragoons
    Military news and views at GrogNews

“their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of ‘rights’… and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure.” Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers 1959

Play more wargames!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Why do you ask?

No particular reason.
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

Default The $60K Question...

may just be why does Iraq need an IqM. But it's in the works. Perhaps there may be some influence on the Iraqi Navy by the performance of the US Marines.

Wilf you may be close on the mark since I read here that a mission of the 2nd Marine Battalion was primary security of Umm Qasr port facility, while the 1st Marine Battalion had the primary oil terminal point defense security mission.

The formation of the ROKMC, RTMC, VNMC, and others certainly used the USMC as a baseline for start up but each gradually developed into it's own distinctive service. One does see the USMC influence in much of the iconography of many Marine formations still today.