Thread: Mainly terrorism in Indonesia: catch all

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O'Neill View Post
    The success of Detachment 88 is obviously starting to 'bite' amongst JI. The latest from the alleged spiritual leader of JI, quoted by the Australian Broadcasting Commission this evening (Tues 26 Jun):

http://http://www.abc.net.au/news/st...section=justin

Can't get the link to open. I think you have one too many "http"s in there.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Can't get the link to open. I think you have one too many "http"s in there.
    yep, sorry, works now.

Council Member

....he's not just complaining about CT efforts, he's considering a run for office:

ISN Network, 9 Jul 07: Courting Sharia in Indonesia
    Reports say that Abu Bakar Ba'asyir - the reputed spiritual leader of the militant Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) and head of the Majelis Mujahidin Indonesia party (MMI) - is considering running for president of Indonesia in elections scheduled for 2009.

While an estimated 86.4 percent of Indonesia's 234 million citizens are Muslims, most are moderates, and some of Ba'asyir's policies, especially his call for the implementation of Sharia law, could well strike resonant chords among many.

Ba'asyir's MMI is an umbrella organization for groups fighting for Sharia law in Indonesia.

While Ba'asyir denies involvement with the militant JI, he has stood trial and been convicted of involvement in terrorism and the recent arrests of top JI commanders have implicated him in direct involvement in the group's leadership.....

Default I wouldn't be too worried

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    ....he's not just complaining about CT efforts, he's considering a run for office:

ISN Network, 9 Jul 07: Courting Sharia in Indonesia
    JI is definitely a minor rump group compared to many other Islamic parties that have already 'embraced' the democratic process in Indonesia. The idea of Bashir getting a serious run in the presidential elections would appear to be a farcical pipe dream.

For good information about the state of these things I really commend the International Crisis Group's reports on JI to you. Sidney Jones has a hand in these and I do not think that there are too many others with such in depth knowledge.

At the same time, I would try and avoid 99.9% of what Abuza or Gunaratana write about JI. From SE Asia and Indonesia experts I have spoken with , their fame appears to be inversely proportional to their knowledge.

At the same time, I would try and avoid 99.9% of what Abuza or Gunaratana write about JI. From SE Asia and Indonesia experts I have spoken with , their fame appears to be inversely proportional to their knowledge.
    I have known Zack and Rohan for a number of years and based on my experiences in SE Asia they are very knowledgable - Zack particularly has great access to the MILF and MNLF in the Philippines.
    David S. Maxwell
    "Irregular warfare is far more intellectual than a bayonet charge." T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by max161 View Post
    I have known Zack and Rohan for a number of years and based on my experiences in SE Asia they are very knowledgable - Zack particularly has great access to the MILF and MNLF in the Philippines.
    You will note that I specifically mentioned JI. I did not offer any opinion on the Southern Philippines or any of the groups there.

I stand by my statement.

You will note that I specifically mentioned JI. I did not offer any opinion on the Southern Philippines or any of the groups there.

I stand by my statement.
    Well the JI is here in the Philippines and from my first hand knowledge of Zack's and Rohan's work I believe that they do know what they are talking about and other SE Asia experts, operators and analysts, that I know and work with in Indonesia and throughout the region respect highly their work as well.

I stand by my statements.
    David S. Maxwell
    "Irregular warfare is far more intellectual than a bayonet charge." T.E. Lawrence