Thread: BfSB

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by gute View Post
    I'm more interested in the structure of the BfSB and wonder if the BfSB would be more versitle if it was an Infantry Brigade Combat Team or Airborne Infantry Brigade Combat Team with enhanced military intelligence capabilities and a Ranger battalion instead of a RSTA squadron?
    Ranger BN? No, not by the definition of what a Ranger BN is now. In times past, companies designated as Ranger units were attached to corps, divisions and brigades for recon and raiding but now the Ranger designation and heraldry is owned by the 75th Ranger Regiment and the Ranger Training Brigade.

This design may not fit with the true purpose of the BfSB, but a Ranger battalion and two maneuver battalions would seem to me to add flexability and "bite" compared to the current design.
    Flexibility and bite? How about a true cavalry squadron that can fight for information or observe and report?

Also, with some talking about creating stability & security brigades would it not make sense to team SBCTs with the SFGs? Maybe this is already being done.
    I don't know why a SBCT would need to be paired with an SF Group for stability and security but maybe they would.

The 75th Ranger Regiment was using some Strykers for a while for combat ops but I thought it would make more sense for SOCOM to "own" a light armored cavalry regiment and not try to make the Rangers into something they were not intended to be.

Hell, combine all three into Special Forces Brigades - take the Stryker BCT with enhanced MI, add a Ranger battalion and a SFG.
    Maybe we need to define some terms here. You seem to be using the term "special forces" in a general way to refer to special operations or elite light infantry. In the US Army the term refers to the special forces groups that have their roots in the WWII OSS Operational Groups and Jedburgh teams. A unit isn't called "special forces" just because it has a unique mission.
    Last edited by Rifleman; 07-16-2011 at 04:02 PM.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper