Thread: Using drones: principles, tactics and results (amended title)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default No, I get that it is your point.

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    So? That is the whole point! The military objective when working against insurgents is to ensure that do no gain their objective by military means/violence. That is sole aim of the military campaign!

The aim is to break the will of insurgency (the use of military/violent means) to pursue policy by violence and to force them to use non-violent political and diplomatic means.
    And I agree that over the past span of recorded history such temporal success have been sufficient to allow the National interests to be serviced with little threat of popular blowback on the folks back home. A deployed army and a Friendly Dictator took care of the occasional dust up.

I just don't think these are tactics that work in the modern age. Info has everyone too linked; and Jet travel has us too close to each other. What happens on the edges of the empire no longer stays on the edges of the empire.

It lands on your front stoop like a burning bag of ####.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    I just don't think these are tactics that work in the modern age. Info has everyone too linked; and Jet travel has us too close to each other. What happens on the edges of the empire no longer stays on the edges of the empire.

It lands on your front stoop like a burning bag of ####.
    It never did. Information is information. The Victorians had Telegraph. We've had radio since the 1920's. The catastrophic effect of Amritsar Massacre would be as decisive today as it was then. The actions of the British Army torture gangs in Ireland, basically lost the UK the war.
    The bombing of Guernica caused outrage, as did the sacking of Peking. Martin Luther set Europe on fire by word of mouth.

Mai Lai massacre? - covered up for 18 months. There is no proof the internet would have made that less likely. Youtube footage of atrocities in Darfur?

The modern information age has not made the violence in Darfur, Bosnia, Sri-Lanka, or even Gaza any less likely in the future.

The idea that the information age has made changed "War" is faith based and evidence free. The sheer quantity of information has not changed it's quality. or it's meaning.
    The information age, has not shown UFO's exist or that ET walks amongst us.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition