Thread: It's the Tribes (merged thread)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Yup, basically al-Sadr & Nasrallah family link

is what I was looking at ....

from tribalguy
    I believe, but am not 100% sure, that Nasarallah is ((Musawi)) as well, if that is what you were referring to.
    So, I don't know & you don't know. So far, we're batting 0-2 (one heck of a baseball team ).

Not an SME on the Jabal Amel, its history, genealogies and migrations; and definitely not an Arabist. Just looking at some folks involved in killing US Marines and agency people in Beirut a long time ago.

Here are some notes on genealogies [lots of current history on the folks named], for whatever they might be worth:

-----------------------
    As-Sadr (or al-Sadr) - here used of a current family named after Grand Ayatollah Sadr al-Din bin Saleh ("heart of the religion") of Qom, a branch of the Sharafeddine family from Jabal Amel [1]. The Sharafeddine family itself is a branch of the Noureddine family, which traces its lineage to Imam Musa al-Kazim (the seventh Shi'a Imam), and through him to the first Imam, Ali ibn Abi Talib and Fatima Zahra, the daughter of the prophet Muhammad.

Iraqi & Lebanese al-Sadr descent from 1. Sadr-ed-Deen bin Saleh

[1X. Mohammad as-Sadr, Baghdadi leader of the 1920 revolution against the British government; exact fit in family presently unclear]

1. Grand Ayatollah Sadr-ed-Deen bin Saleh,

2. Grand Ayatollah Ismail as-Sadr (d. 1919-1920), son of Sadr-ed-Deen bin Saleh,

------------------- Branch A

3A. Muhammad Mahdi as-Sadr, son of Ismail as-Sadr,

4A. Ayatollah Mohammad Sadeq es-Sadr, a leading Iraqi cleric and father of Muhammad Muhammad Sadiq as-Sadr

5A. Grand Ayatollah Mohammad Mohammad Sadeq es-Sadr (1943 - 1999), also known as "Sadr II".

6A. Muqtada al-Sadr (1973-), son of Sadr II [5A], son-in-law of Sadr I [4C2], and great-grandnephew of Mohammad as-Sadr [1X].

---------------------- Branch B

3B. Grand Ayatollah Sadr al-Din al-Sadr (d.1954), 2nd son of Ismail as-Sadr,

4B. Imam Musa as-Sadr (1928-1978?), son of Sadr al-Din al-Sadr; a Lebanese political & religious leader and a cousin of Sadeq and Baqir. [2]

---------------------- Branch C

3C. Ayatollah Haydar al-Sadr (1891-1937), son of Ismail as-Sadr,

4C1. Isma'il, son of Haydar al-Sadr

4C2 Grand Ayatollah Mohammad Baqir al-Sadr (1935-1980), son of Haydar al-Sadr and a major Islamic thinker. He is also known as the "Third martyr" or "Sadr I". He is the father-in-law of Muqtada al-Sadr.

4C3. Amina Sadr bint al-Huda, daughter of Haydar al-Sadr, killed together with her brother.

----------------------------
    [1] Jabal Amel - mountainous region of Southern Lebanon; shortened over the centuries from "mountains of the Banu 'Amilah", a Yemenite tribe (kindred to the Hamadan, Lakhm and Judham) settled in Syria, Palestine, parts of Jordan, and Lebanon (by its mythology, in pre-Islamic times). A Shi'ite Muslim area since ca. 7th cent. CE - Abi Dharr Al Ghafari, companion of the Apostle & Ali Bin Abi Talib, as initial proponents.

Hassan Nasrallah, August 31, 1960, in East Beirut's Bourj Hammoud neighborhood, ninth of ten children of Abdul Karim, born in Bazouriyeh, a village in Jabal Amel (to which, Hassan Nasrallah later fled). Nasrallah, after education in al-Sadr schools in Lebanon & Iraq, succeeded Abbas al-Musawi (ca.1952–1992) as leader of Hezbollah after Musawi was killed by Israeli forces, February 16, 1992. No genealogy in English (that I found) showing descent from Muhammad (possibly in Arabic).

[2] Disappeared in 1978 on a trip to Libya. Founded Amal - see Abbas al-Musawi & Hassan Nasrallah.
    Last edited by jmm99; 06-02-2009 at 03:40 AM.