Thread: New source of high-quality recruits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Is this an argument over foreigners or Gays or what?

Quote Originally Posted by IntelTrooper View Post
    A minor quibble, but American citizens booted from DLI are not replaced with foreigners. Foreigners cannot be granted security clearances and therefore cannot hold an MI MOS. They are usually brought in (if they possess a critical language skill) as MOS 09L. They would not be serving as 97-series (or 35-series, or 98 series) which those kicked out of DLI would be or would be going to school for after completion of their language training.
    This is the way it always has been. I don't see them changing it anytime soon. Also, the enlistment of foreigners fits the general tendency in all civilian fields to do the same. It better to hire a doctor or nurse fom another country and not create the training programs so American citizens can fill the job.

This point of foreigners being used in the military has allways been done in times of failing enlistment goals. I know for a fact it was used heavily in the Vietnam years. I have a different perspective on the problem. Is a foreigner better than a criminal, the over aged or the profiled? I have no answer myself. I'm only asking the question. But our enlistment goals must be filled. (they haven't been lately) how do you fill them if you can't get the best America has to offer.

As for Gays in the military, I joined the Army as a 2lt in 1966 and served till after GW1. There were always men and woman who were different. They didn't threaten my sexuality. Go to Bangkok on RR and see what you get there. However, President Clinton tried to staighten this mess out and got his *ss handed to him on a plate. DADT was the result. And I'm sure the ultra-right would do the same to Obama if he tries to fix it now.

14 countries have restructured their policies about homosexuality and none of them have come to regret their decisions. Maybe it is time for us to wake up and smell the coffee.
    Last edited by AlexTX ret; 05-30-2009 at 02:33 AM. Reason: typos
    Alex
    Semper en Excretus