As a general sweeping statement, I don't think it's correct.

If someone born in another country wants to be an American and loves this country, then I am not concerned about the lack of citizenship. In such a case, I say take the most qualified person. Now if we're fresh out of straights to fill needed positions and we go searching other countries, when there happen to be gays in this country who are qualified and willing, that does sound backward.

I don't think we've been faced with any situation where we're debating between foreign & straight versus American & gay. But even if that were the situation, DADT may not be germane to whether the policy makes sense, but it certainly would be germane to whether the policy is prudent. Whether or not a politically-charged policy should change is based more on prudence than whether something makes sense on paper.

The debate reminds me of the early years of the insurgency. We would go out on patrol everyday and just tell each other, "don't these people get it? They say that they're fighting to force us to leave. If they would stop fighting, then we would leave. Instead, they just keep fighting, so we have to stay." It's the same dynamic with the "gay rights" lobby. If they truly cared about this policy change, rather than the persuasive effect that it would achieve in the larger debate, then they would just give it a rest. In a few years, it would be quietly revisited, in light of shortages of critical skills, and probably changed. Instead, they keep pushing the issue, which evokes push-back from those who see what larger goal political goal is being sought.