View Poll Results: Would wearing an SWJ or SWC T-Shirt Make You Stand Tall Before The Man?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 87.72%
  • No

7 12.28%

Thread: SWJ and SWC T-Shirts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default It's Not the Size That Counts ...

is probably copyrighted, since it's the title of a 1974 movie. Sounds like a wacky movie from the Wiki.

I took copyright in 1967, so my opinion in that legal area is worthless.

Council Member

I was thinking about making up a t-shirt and bumper sticker for myself.
    Support our troops!

Replace the M855 5.56mm Ball cartridge with the MK 262 Mod 0, 5.56mm 77 Grain LR!

Maybe I could get that printed onto a magnetic ribbon, as well (stopping power awareness).

jmm99,Have Gun Will Travel isn't. It was one of the most famous cases there was....they forgot to copywrite it so all these imatation cards started showing up in schools around 1966 or 1967 I am the proud owner of one. carried it all during my time in the 82nd. I don't know how it was finally resolved maybe you can find out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Gun,_Will_Travel

Default Another idea

Another concept... I always liked the crossed rifle designs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Funny that our schwag opportunities and failures (coins, cups, etc.) should come up again just now. I've got a proof out for minting. Should be any year now.

Please keep up the design work. We neeed some stuff. Now that I am finally moving dirt on the fulfillment side, the ideas are all the more relevant.

BTW, I always thought the popular size verb was "matters" not "counts." Does it fit with the motto?

Quote Originally Posted by SWCAdmin View Post
    Funny that our schwag opportunities and failures (coins, cups, etc.) should come up again just now. I've got a proof out for minting. Should be any year now.

Please keep up the design work. We neeed some stuff. Now that I am finally moving dirt on the fulfillment side, the ideas are all the more relevant.

BTW, I always thought the popular size verb was "matters" not "counts." Does it fit with the motto?
    I agree... maybe "It's not the size that matters."?

My CorelDraw is acting up -- for some reason it won't let me do anything. I don't know what I did to offend it. I'll try re-installing and try some of the things that have been suggested.

Has anyone seen the movie Pentagon Wars, by chance?
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Errr... as an active member of the group composed of opposed to the "New/Nouveau COIN" tendency, I would suggest

FIND, FIX, STRIKE, EXPLOIT as the Core Functions are applicable across all forms of warfare and how you defeat anyone, anywhere.

...oh, and they can also be applied "non-kinetically" Eyuh... shudder....
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by IntelTrooper View Post
    Another concept... I always liked the crossed rifle designs.
    The beret is too one sided. But I dig the design.
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

Council Member

Default Hey Slap, ....

You could have got these by Googling - "Have Gun Will Travel" decosta - ending up with Case 1, Case 2 and Case 3 - all of which would give me a headache if I read them.

------------------------------
    Back to the serious business at hand.

The crossed AR-AK seems a good framework (admitted bias since my dad wore the crossed muskets), but the materials in the center are too cluttered. They suggest a combo with the baret & books = a Studies & Observations Group - for real, not a euphemism as in the original. Do we not study and make observations ?

A takeoff on the MACV-SOG patch seems too much to me - too much death out of the skies. Maybe put the baret on top of one open book, logoed SWJ-SOG ?

-----------------------
    I think there should be a place for Clear, Hold, Build (as the second line in the title under Small Wars Journal) - and this is not picking a fight with you, Wilf ...

since I tend to agree with ...

FIND, FIX, STRIKE, EXPLOIT as the Core Functions ... of warfare
    but, they predominate in the first Clear phase (may be present in all phases, situation dependent). Moving through Hold & Build, the phases look more like a combo of politfare (new term, I think) and lawfare (not a new term), moving to peacefare (I'll give this one to Bob's World, sans dinosaur).

------------------------
    Now for the popsicle:

The true scoop is in my link (in first page) to Percy's Progress:

The US version of the film includes several additional scenes shot by the American distributor, these include ... a scene in which a dwarf is seen jumping out of a woman’s bed leaving her to say the film's American title ‘Its Not the Size That Counts’ .....
    Or more completely, "It's not the size that counts. It's how you use it that matters."

Which in the case of us dwarfs is a very important principle of life.
    Last edited by jmm99; 05-31-2009 at 06:41 PM.

I like the first one, but only if we put big slashes through each word of "Hold-Clear-Build" and replace with something more on the lines of:

Listen - Think - Act

"Solving large problems with small wars since (insert date here)"

SWJ
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Default Sounds like IntelTrooper...

has been to Thailand...
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Quote Originally Posted by Umar Al-Mokhtār View Post
    has been to Thailand...
    LOL. I just hung out at the airport and watched the plastic surgery candidates arrive... :P
    -- Ken White

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    I like the first one, but only if we put big slashes through each word of "Hold-Clear-Build" and replace with something more on the lines of:

Listen - Think - Act

"Solving large problems with small wars since (insert date here)"

SWJ
    I think that's better.

Listen - Think - Act
    certainly has merit.

How about:

War is about imposing will.
    Small war is about imposing will, nicely.

(Consider the older definition of 'nice'; "minute and subtle; precise, critical; minutely accurate")

For graphics:
    -How about a machete in there someplace? Note Guevara's recommendations for the use of machetes and the applications they were put to in Rwanda.
    -And now that Guevara and Rwanda have been mentioned... How about Tom Odom's handsome visage wearing a Che beret?

Need to loose the beret. . . . too French.

Quote Originally Posted by Icepack6 View Post
    Need to loose the beret. . . . too French.
    Hey, I resemble that remark! Sort of.
    See things through the eyes of your enemy and you can defeat him.

Council Member

Default Beret - non ?

Except for the Marines, it strikes me that it's US forces that have gone beret happy. I can't see my dad in a beret, but what the hey.

As alternatives from the French, you might consider the attached - no berets.

Or to get closer to Icepak6's age cohort, perhaps we should consider Dan Daly's dress cover - sort of a mushroom képi in effect. I actually like that design.

Cheers to all of us in our quest for the perfect design.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images