View Poll Results: Would wearing an SWJ or SWC T-Shirt Make You Stand Tall Before The Man?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 87.72%
  • No

7 12.28%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SWJ and SWC T-Shirts?

Funny that our schwag opportunities and failures (coins, cups, etc.) should come up again just now. I've got a proof out for minting. Should be any year now.

Please keep up the design work. We neeed some stuff. Now that I am finally moving dirt on the fulfillment side, the ideas are all the more relevant.

BTW, I always thought the popular size verb was "matters" not "counts." Does it fit with the motto?

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Errr... as an active member of the group composed of opposed to the "New/Nouveau COIN" tendency, I would suggest

FIND, FIX, STRIKE, EXPLOIT as the Core Functions are applicable across all forms of warfare and how you defeat anyone, anywhere.

...oh, and they can also be applied "non-kinetically" Eyuh... shudder....
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by IntelTrooper View Post
    Another concept... I always liked the crossed rifle designs.
    The beret is too one sided. But I dig the design.
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

Council Member

Default Hey Slap, ....

You could have got these by Googling - "Have Gun Will Travel" decosta - ending up with Case 1, Case 2 and Case 3 - all of which would give me a headache if I read them.

------------------------------
    Back to the serious business at hand.

The crossed AR-AK seems a good framework (admitted bias since my dad wore the crossed muskets), but the materials in the center are too cluttered. They suggest a combo with the baret & books = a Studies & Observations Group - for real, not a euphemism as in the original. Do we not study and make observations ?

A takeoff on the MACV-SOG patch seems too much to me - too much death out of the skies. Maybe put the baret on top of one open book, logoed SWJ-SOG ?

-----------------------
    I think there should be a place for Clear, Hold, Build (as the second line in the title under Small Wars Journal) - and this is not picking a fight with you, Wilf ...

since I tend to agree with ...

FIND, FIX, STRIKE, EXPLOIT as the Core Functions ... of warfare
    but, they predominate in the first Clear phase (may be present in all phases, situation dependent). Moving through Hold & Build, the phases look more like a combo of politfare (new term, I think) and lawfare (not a new term), moving to peacefare (I'll give this one to Bob's World, sans dinosaur).

------------------------
    Now for the popsicle:

BTW, I always thought the popular size verb was "matters" not "counts." Does it fit with the motto?
    The true scoop is in my link (in first page) to Percy's Progress:

The US version of the film includes several additional scenes shot by the American distributor, these include ... a scene in which a dwarf is seen jumping out of a woman’s bed leaving her to say the film's American title ‘Its Not the Size That Counts’ .....
    Or more completely, "It's not the size that counts. It's how you use it that matters."

Which in the case of us dwarfs is a very important principle of life.
    Last edited by jmm99; 05-31-2009 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWCAdmin View Post
    Funny that our schwag opportunities and failures (coins, cups, etc.) should come up again just now. I've got a proof out for minting. Should be any year now.

Please keep up the design work. We neeed some stuff. Now that I am finally moving dirt on the fulfillment side, the ideas are all the more relevant.

I agree... maybe "It's not the size that matters."?

My CorelDraw is acting up -- for some reason it won't let me do anything. I don't know what I did to offend it. I'll try re-installing and try some of the things that have been suggested.

Has anyone seen the movie Pentagon Wars, by chance?
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    Clear, hold, build
    It's not the size that counts
    Small Wars Journal

"of the war" seems to break the cadence - my perception.
    I like this variation...a lot. And I think setting up a run of tees (assuming one of the mods might be able to take on the task of supervising the effort) would be easier perhaps than getting a run of coins done.

Next best quote in my mind would be the one we had proposed and agreed upon for that challenge coin idea. I seem to have misplaced the thread and am not sure what we picked.
    Last edited by jcustis; 05-31-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Council Member

Default Here's what I came up with...

Attached Images Attached Images

Default We're forgetting the other side of the equation...

"But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

Quote Originally Posted by Culpeper View Post
    Yes,that should be on all of them somewhere should'nt it?

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    I like this variation...a lot. And I think setting up a run of tees (assuming one of the mods might be able to take on the task of supervising the effort) would be easier perhaps than getting a run of coins done.

Next best quote in my mind would be the one we had proposed and agreed upon for that challenge coin idea. I seem to have misplaced the thread and am not sure what we picked.
    Hi JC,
    The front was boots on the ground,eyes on the people,mind on the mission. This was going to be translated into Latin. The back was going to be History is our teacher....also in Latin if I remember correctly.

Idea, if we do t-shirts and hats and coffee cups we could do them all. I like that marine combatives motto One Mind Any Weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Hi JC,
    The front was boots on the ground,eyes on the people,mind on the mission. This was going to be translated into Latin. The back was going to be History is our teacher....also in Latin if I remember correctly.

Idea, if we do t-shirts and hats and coffee cups we could do them all. I like that marine combatives motto One Mind Any Weapon.
    If you set up an account on CafePress.com you can make an infinite number of combinations of mottos, crests, and graphics on t-shirts, hoodies, sweaters, mousepads, hats, coffee cups, etc. etc. There is no charge to set up a product and I believe you can get a small royalty if other people purchase an item with your artwork/design.
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

I am beginning to think that Small Wars Journal on the front, with that saying above on the back (in English) would be a sweet t-shirt. A imprint of the HMMWV and donkey print would be icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by IntelTrooper View Post
    If you set up an account on CafePress.com you can make an infinite number of combinations of mottos, crests, and graphics on t-shirts, hoodies, sweaters, mousepads, hats, coffee cups, etc. etc. There is no charge to set up a product and I believe you can get a small royalty if other people purchase an item with your artwork/design.
    That was the plan. A couple of snags. If I collected the money that is an income tax/accounting thing I wasn't sure of. Dave SWJED had some quality issues with cafepress that turned out to be some other peoples problems to, they were all technical that could be fixed with all the computer geeks we have on the site now. When you download the print it has to meet certain specs or when they put it on a product it will not turn out right. Black t-shirts were a problem to, but has been fixed as I understand it.

We would also need a design approval process so people like me wouldn't put stupid stuff on them. I was either in the army or LE protecting other peoples right to protest so I never got the chance to.....express myself so I have some pent up emotions. I wanted a couple of coffee cups or baseball caps with Che Guevara SUCKS and Ho Chi Min can kiss my Ass and some others I want go into.

We have Bill's SWJ publisher approval to continue sooooo I say Ken White drew on caves and he can count so he can be the admiral in charge. Sam Liles is a computer super geek and jmm99 is a lawyer and so is lawvol. Goobs of ideas and examples So lets form a guerrilla unit and attack!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    I am beginning to think that Small Wars Journal on the front, with that saying above on the back (in English) would be a sweet t-shirt. A imprint of the HMMWV and donkey print would be icing on the cake.

JC read my other post and lets sneak down and do em all. Ever here that joke about police officers and cows?

Council Member

Default No ....

from Slap
    Ever here that joke about police officers and cows?
    but, if it can't be posted on this family channel, send me a PM.

All this stuff has to checked for copyright and trademark infringements. Be nice to find a lawyer in that field who'd be willing to join a guerrilla group (i.e., work for free or out of pocket expenses only). Have a possible target, but I'd imagine there is some legal talent already linked to SWJ at the corporate level, who are familiar with that stuff.

Those are some bitch'n ideas
    Hmmm, do we have a shrink on board yet

... I was either in the army or LE protecting other peoples right to protest so I never got the chance to.....express myself so I have some pent up emotions. I wanted a couple of coffee cups or baseball caps with Che Guevara SUCKS and Ho Chi Min can kiss my Ass and some others I want go into.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Yes,that should be on all of them somewhere should'nt it?
    I agree. We don't really have a choice do we? It's our thing is it not?

...much as I would like a graphic of an armoured D9 Bulldozer, it would not reflect the diverse beliefs and sentiments of the community!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    ...much as I would like a graphic of an armoured D9 Bulldozer
    The D9! Oh man. In OIF III, we had a D9 at our patrol base for a few weeks (long story). The driver was scheduled to have the D9 leave the next day and I asked him to do one last task for us. He was adamant that he had to leave. That is, until I told him what I needed done. Our patrol base was smack dab in the middle of a violent city. 25 meters away from our patrol base was a row of abandoned houses that people loved to use as a staging point to attack us. My plan was to bulldoze the entire neighborhood and to overcompensate the owners, making it a win-win for us and them (we upgrade our force protection and they upgrade their bank accounts). When I explained what I wanted done, he froze, his eyes got real big, his cigarette fell from his lips, there was a long pause, and then he said, "sir, I will stay here for as long as it takes if I can drive that dozer through a row of buildings." Unfortunately, my brilliant plan was quickly rejected by whomever handles the money at BDE (but my Bn XO, God bless him, actually argued on my behalf). That definitely would have made for a great video to show among friends on a Friday night, but a PR disaster if it were to get onto YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    That definitely would have made for a great video to show among friends on a Friday night, but a PR disaster if it were to get onto YouTube.
    Flatten the houses. No one care about what is on YouTube!

Default Nice work Entropy...

but it's a bit freaky...and what happened to Gian's chin?
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."