View Poll Results: Would wearing an SWJ or SWC T-Shirt Make You Stand Tall Before The Man?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 87.72%
  • No

7 12.28%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SWJ and SWC T-Shirts?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Umar Al-Mokhtār View Post
    but it's a bit freaky...and what happened to Gian's chin?
    Haha, thanks! I couldn't really help the chin too much without some editing!

BTW, it's a spoof of the recent NBA advertising campaign, in case you didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Those are some bitch'n ideas
    Hmmm, do we have a shrink on board yet
    Present.
    But what exactly do we need my head shrinking powers for??
    Reed
    Quote Originally Posted by sapperfitz82 View Post
    This truly is the bike helmet generation.

Stan,looks like we do now.

Quote Originally Posted by reed11b View Post
    Present.
    But what exactly do we need my head shrinking powers for??
    Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    The D9! Oh man. In OIF III, we had a D9 at our patrol base for a few weeks (long story). The driver was scheduled to have the D9 leave the next day and I asked him to do one last task for us. He was adamant that he had to leave. That is, until I told him what I needed done. Our patrol base was smack dab in the middle of a violent city. 25 meters away from our patrol base was a row of abandoned houses that people loved to use as a staging point to attack us. My plan was to bulldoze the entire neighborhood and to overcompensate the owners, making it a win-win for us and them (we upgrade our force protection and they upgrade their bank accounts). When I explained what I wanted done, he froze, his eyes got real big, his cigarette fell from his lips, there was a long pause, and then he said, "sir, I will stay here for as long as it takes if I can drive that dozer through a row of buildings." Unfortunately, my brilliant plan was quickly rejected by whomever handles the money at BDE (but my Bn XO, God bless him, actually argued on my behalf). That definitely would have made for a great video to show among friends on a Friday night, but a PR disaster if it were to get onto YouTube.
    We leveled across from the gov center in Ramadi because of similar circumstances, our message was urban renewal to be replaced by a "park".
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

I learned to drive the equivalent of a D9 when I was 12 years old. It's what made me originally want to be a tanker. Learned to grade and dig with that monster. Summer jobs in logging country for kids involve all kinds of cool gadgets.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    I learned to drive the equivalent of a D9 when I was 12 years old. It's what made me originally want to be a tanker. Learned to grade and dig with that monster. Summer jobs in logging country for kids involve all kinds of cool gadgets.
    You got to play with a D9? Drat! At 12, low those many years ago, this is what I got stuck with!
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    You got to play with a D9? Drat! At 12, low those many years ago, this is what I got stuck with!
    I've got some two man saws that are 8 feet and 4 feet long. One summer I helped put in the roads, then the next year I ran choker. Never had the guts to ride the skidder down the mountain. When I was 15 I rodeoed log booms outside of B.C. But only for a few weeks.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    I've got some two man saws that are 8 feet and 4 feet long. One summer I helped put in the roads, then the next year I ran choker. Never had the guts to ride the skidder down the mountain. When I was 15 I rodeoed log booms outside of B.C. But only for a few weeks.
    The summer camp I went to thought that it would "build character" if we were unpaid labour on building their log cabin canoe museum - 3 stories high!
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Default So, back to the topic

Bill, Dave,

When are we going to get those spiffy berets / caterpillar hates / T-shirts, etc.?
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

All I need is a nice polo shirt with a Small Wars logo. That should create quite the tizzy on friday office hours around the old ivory tower.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog

Default Simple is good

I vote for IntelTrooper's "Clear-Hold-Build" in any color as long as it's black.

As for my avatar, I'll bet Pete Abrams would be willing to work with us.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Entropy maybe this is prophacy.....is the small wars concept running out of steam Maybe America only wants Big Wars...Is Gian the next Chief of Staff.....Is Wilf the next Sec Def?
    Last edited by slapout9; 06-03-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: add

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Maybe America only wants Big Wars...Is Gian the next Chief of Staff.....Is Wilf the next Sec Def?
    You don't get to pick your Wars. Politicians do. Can't speak for Gian or know what's best for the US Army, but I do know that proficiency in fighting is the key to success in Big Wars and Small Wars, because both are Wars.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default Totally off thread...

Slap,

I feel, and it has been posited elsewhere, that America has the capability to be prepared for war fought on virtually any level of intensity or effort. Where we trip ourselves up is our acquisitions process is heavily geared towards equipping the force for war as we want it to happen, vice trying to achieve a balance of capabilities that can effectively deal with a broad and fluid range of employment. We seem to strive to have the highest speed, lowest drag widget. That superiority comes at a very high cost, and to what end?

One cannot 100% predict the future and it seems that many in government naively believe our opponents will fight on our terms. Granted, there are those that argue that having the absolute top of the line weapon systems deters our enemies. I agree that is true for some, but it will not deter them all, and those who are willing to take us on will make every effort to determine ways to either match or mitigate the superiority of our weapons or create scenarios in which they are irrelevant or impractical due to their complexity or lethality (our self imposed aversion to non-combatant casualties will always be a weapon to be used against us by less scrupulous opponents).

The US primarily should be highly proficient at employing forces to combat a peer like enemy because nearly all those proficiencies are still relevant when you are at war with men in sandals with AKs and RPGs. It’s mostly about the judicious and appropriate application of those proficiencies for each scenario, scenarios which will vary even within the same AO.
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Ahhhh Guys.....since this is the T-Shirt thread it was supposed to be humorous

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Ahhhh Guys.....since this is the T-Shirt thread it was supposed to be humorous
    Too true Slap. Just forgot myself for a second, and I should have responded in a way befitting your comment.

...but me like Small Wars. Small Wars easy. Small Wars cheap and manageable if approached with a thimble full of common sense. Me no like Big Wars. Big Wars decisive. Big Wars no time for learning. Big Wars very serious. Me like Small Wars.

...and I might put that on a T-shirt just for me!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default Slap, I know, I know...

I suffered a temporary serious attack...

So let's get back to threads.

We could really throw off the uninitiated if we avoid reference to SWJ and go with:

The Kitakidogo Social Club

“If you don’t know what it means, you just don’t know”

We might even need a snazzy logo/coat of arms like emblem to be embroidered on the breast of the inevitable polo shirt!
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Agree, Big Wars are Big Problems that we don't need.

However a coat of arms on a polo-shirt ain't half bad got a picture?

Default I'm just the idea guy...

I leave the real work to others!

Using my infinite Power Point skills I think I could come up with something rather dignified.

Quote Originally Posted by Umar Al-Mokhtār View Post
    I suffered a temporary serious attack...

So let's get back to threads.

We could really throw off the uninitiated if we avoid reference to SWJ and go with:

The Kitakidogo Social Club

“If you don’t know what it means, you just don’t know”

We might even need a snazzy logo/coat of arms like emblem to be embroidered on the breast of the inevitable polo shirt!
    Crossed Masai lion spears and shields? Or Zulu shield, assegai, and knobkerrie?
    or maybe Shaka?
    Attached Images Attached Images