Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is a dumb idea

Default S'Okay, I'm very much

into Political Correctness and recycling.

Council Member Brandon Friedman's Avatar

Uh oh. Looks like somebody in the 101st is gonna be in trouble:

In testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee, General McChrystal said the measure of American and allied effectiveness would be “the number of Afghans shielded from violence,” not the number of enemies killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Friedman
    And why is a BG commanding the division?
    BG Townsend is the deputy commander.

I don't know if the issue is as "epidemic" Army-wide, but the 101 leadership has admitted that it does not know the origin or solution to the problem.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

The 101st Airborne's senior commander in effect ordered his soldiers Wednesday not to commit suicide, a plea that came after 11 suicides since January 1, two of them in the past week.
    So when are the posthumus Article 15s going to start happening? If a soldier is truely intent on ending his life. The last thing he is probably going to be thinking about is that a deputy division commander ordered him not too. In my mind there are two types of of potentially suicidal soldiers. Those who truely wish death will meet the tasks, conditions and standards of suicide and execute accordingly. The second catagory are those who are screaming for help and/or attention. As rash as the actions of the latter may be, it is not too late to help them. Sadly, powerpoint presentations, risk assesments, and saftey stand downs will not help the latter much.
    Last edited by Blackjack; 06-08-2009 at 05:48 PM.

I'm no psychologist (but what do they know?), but IMO, the Army's programs don't work because they are artificial and imposed top-down. The daily grind, the optempo, and the constant moves make it difficult for natural mechanisms and relationships to develop; things that would otherwise deter some of these problems.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Council Member

Default Metrics

Body counts became discerdited in Vietnam not least because they only measured attrition as oppose to other conditions for COIN success, but also because there were suspicions of exaggeration.
    In the usual western, risk averse manner, they have been exorcised from any discussion of operations. But I think they have a place, provided they are placed in the correct context. This is why comms needs to be done sensibly, and under control.

But a more effective measurement is number of incidents. If a sector is experiencing markedly fewer shoots/bombs/kidnappings etc, and the civil population is still there and extant - then that is success.

Sadly, military institutions still tend to get excited about the amount of ordnance going off and how many rounds are being fired. It takes a lot to move past kinetic hardwiring.

Default What goes around comes around

New boots on old ground...
    "Reporting from Kabul, Afghanistan -- U.S. military officials in Afghanistan have halted the practice of releasing the number of militants killed in fighting with American-led forces as part of an overall strategy shift that emphasizes concern for the local civilian population's well-being rather than hunting insurgent groups.
    . . .
    Last year, the 101st Airborne Division began releasing numbers of militants killed, and the practice soon spread among U.S. forces. Public affairs officials in the 101st Airborne began publicizing militant deaths to counter the perception among Americans that the U.S. military was losing in Afghanistan."
    LINK.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    New boots on old ground...
    Well, at least someone has some blood flowing to their brain over there.
    Public affairs officials in the 101st Airborne began publicizing militant deaths to counter the perception among Americans that the U.S. military was losing in Afghanistan.
    Because that public affairs tactic worked so well during Viet Nam...?
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen