Thread: COIN case: LRA Lords Resistance Army

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This stuff can only happen after such a viral video success...

This reminds me a bit of some satirist's critique of the computer chair heroes who got agitated a lot about something they have only 40 minutes worth of information about...
    (I am a computer chair hero nowadays as well, but I get agitated about things I knew about for a decade or more! )

edit: Just one more

Interestingly (coincidentally), it's not 100% baseless...
    Last edited by Fuchs; 03-19-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Default African Union force steps up hunt for Joseph Kony

A marvellous headline, just what it means in reality we shall see and the report starts with:
    A military force set up by the African Union to hunt down fugitive Ugandan warlord Joseph Kony is being launched in South Sudan. The AU says the 5,000-strong force will exist for as long as it takes to capture or kill Mr Kony.
    Later:
    The AU force will have a Ugandan commander and comprise troops from Uganda, South Sudan, Central African Republic and Congo - all countries in which the LRA has operated. It is based in Yambio, in the west of South Sudan, near the border with the Central African Republic and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
    Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17498382

If it was five hundred soldiers then I'd not be so wary. Do I hear the contributors thinking US$ will be forthcoming after the Kony video?
    davidbfpo

The first thing I thought of is who is paying for those 5,000 troops.

The second thing I thought of was a joint force with Congolese troops mixed in; that should be interesting.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    The first thing I thought of is who is paying for those 5,000 troops.

The second thing I thought of was a joint force with Congolese troops mixed in; that should be interesting.
    I can reassure you very quickly: it will not be the troops providers who will pay. So that's gonna be your taxes and mines...

And how the SPLA melt will be interresting to, just how much FACA will show how capabe they are.
    Anyways, well played for Uganda, they have officially an operational base in South Sudan now. They just need to purchase Juba and South Sudan will be theirs.

Apparently, it's the US who will pay:
    U.S. Support to Regional Efforts To Counter the Lord's Resistance Army
    Fact Sheet
    Office of the Spokesperson
    Washington, DC

March 23, 2012

The United States’ comprehensive, multi-year strategy seeks to help the Governments of Uganda, CAR, the DRC, and South Sudan as well as the African Union and United Nations to mitigate and end the threat posed to civilians and regional stability by the LRA. The strategy outlines four key objectives for U.S. support: (1) the increased protection of civilians, (2) the apprehension or removal of Joseph Kony and senior LRA commanders from the battlefield, (3) the promotion of defections and support of disarmament, demobilization, and reintegration of remaining LRA fighters, and (4) the provision of continued humanitarian relief to affected communities.
    http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2012/03/186732.htm

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

If Kony on the loose brings American aid, where's the incentive to catch him?
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    If Kony on the loose brings American aid, where's the incentive to catch him?
    Hey Dayuhan,

You're actually asking the only interresting question that no one wants to answer.
    And most probably responding to the question: why is UPDF uncapable to catch the man...