Thread: 35M school, Camp Williams UT

Default 35M school, Camp Williams UT

I leave for a shortened 10 week 35M school in about a month to Camp Williams UT. I'm in the National Guard and just transfered to intel.

Anyways, my question is pretty simple, really. I'm just curious if I can get some recommendations for a few good books that I could read to help me get the concepts of humint down.

Anything intel related would be appreciated, I have a slight background in philosophy and sociology, so if anyone has anything that might tie those to intel would be awesome. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dritalin View Post
    I leave for a shortened 10 week 35M school in about a month to Camp Williams UT. I'm in the National Guard and just transfered to intel.

Anyways, my question is pretty simple, really. I'm just curious if I can get some recommendations for a few good books that I could read to help me get the concepts of humint down.

Anything intel related would be appreciated, I have a slight background in philosophy and sociology, so if anyone has anything that might tie those to intel would be awesome. Thanks
    If the course is still the same as when I went through, it's not that complex. Reading a lot won't really prepare you for anything, just do what they tell you, make your interrogator notebook so that you can use it and you won't forget anything, and you'll be fine. The problem that most people have is catching on to the "battle drill" concept, i.e., when you hear a certain word or item you need to ask the battle drill questions.

It's more about process than some kind of Law and Order, "gotcha!" moment. You'll be fine.
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by IntelTrooper View Post
    .....make your interrogator notebook so that you can use it and you won't forget anything, and you'll be fine....
    True. But keep in mind that the notebook is a learning tool for the schoolhouse that can turn into a crutch and an obstacle in the real operational environment. Develop your memory and your cognitive awareness while you have the opportunity - before you deploy.

It may be useful to look up and read what you can about active listening, cognitive interviewing, etc. - these are key elements of the range of manipulative communications skills that are absolutely vital across the spectrum of HUMINT ops, of which interrogation is only one piece. However, keep in mind that these skills cannot be acquired through reading - only by putting them into practice. And the schoolhouse only provides a very limited context within narrow, carefully defined parameters for such practice. In order to pass through, you must execute exactly as they teach. Which, in real life, isn't always the most effective - although it is a decent foundation if understood in the appropriate context.

As a complete aside, prior to the onset of the current intense optempo, I used to encourage my interrogators to volunteer with community mediation programs. Many off-base cities and towns have local volunteer community mediation or victim-offender mediation programs. Not only do they offer free training in active-listening skills and mediation skills, but they offer the opportunity to conduct real interviews, along with the mediation (most cases require separate interviews with each party prior to moving to the mediation). Suicide hotlines are another valuable no-cost volunteer opportunity that offers excellent real experience. Many LE agencies encourage their crisis negotiators to work suicide hotlines after going through initial training - this is because the negotiators generally are challenged by having to rely on pure active listening skills, without the benefit of observing facial expression or body language, since they're doing the job over the phone. If you have time and opportunity, these can be beneficial.
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 06-04-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    True. But keep in mind that the notebook is a learning tool for the schoolhouse that can turn into a crutch and an obstacle in the real operational environment. Develop your memory and your cognitive awareness while you have the opportunity - before you deploy.
    Absolutely. The schoolhouse is nothing like being deployed, especially if you end up on an HCT instead of an interrogation facility (which is likely). My experience as a missionary and salesman was infinitely more valuable than the training I received in the (then) 97E course.
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Absolutely. The schoolhouse is nothing like being deployed, especially if you end up on an HCT instead of an interrogation facility (which is likely). My experience as a missionary and salesman was infinitely more valuable than the training I received in the (then) 97E course.
    Where did you serve your mission?

Yah, a couple of the instructors are in my unit, it doesn't seem like it's that terribly difficult. I'm just looking for stuff that will give me the edge when I'm out in the real world.

Thanks for the tip with intervention programs. I've actually been looking into volunteering for a rape crisis line, as part of my sociology program, but it seems like it's right up that ally.

Can dates teach you anything about interrogation skills? Women must be about the toughest people to break on the planet.

Where did you serve your mission?
    Boise, Idaho. Yes, really.
    Yah, a couple of the instructors are in my unit, it doesn't seem like it's that terribly difficult. I'm just looking for stuff that will give me the edge when I'm out in the real world.
    I think the first step, after learning the basic techniques and skills, is to understand the role of HUMINT in a counterinsurgency/FID environment. There are courses like AIT (Advanced Interrogation Techniques) and others which can help you on the technical side, but the faster you understand what HUMINTers should and should not be doing, the faster the other things will fall into place. Also, learn how to smile politely while maneuver commanders waste your efforts.
    Can dates teach you anything about interrogation skills? Women must be about the toughest people to break on the planet.
    I've always found the comparisons a little disturbing. When I'm out talking to sweaty, smelly local nationals I prefer not to have images of dating popping into my mind. That said, there is probably a common skill set that would make one successful in both.
    -- Ken White

I've always found the comparisons a little disturbing. When I'm out talking to sweaty, smelly local nationals I prefer not to have images of dating popping into my mind. That said, there is probably a common skill set that would make one successful in both.
    Its funny Neuro-Linguistic Programming and elicitation techniques seems to be studied by both intel types and pick up artists. Neil Strauss' The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists is one of the most fascinating books I have ever read; incredible insight into social dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
    Neil Strauss' The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists is one of the most fascinating books I have ever read; incredible insight into social dynamics.
    Sounds like a good recommendation -- thanks!
    -- Ken White

Council Member

Dates are elicitation exercises that may progress into a negotiation. Not postional bargaining - unless you're with a call girl - but along the lines of the interest-based negotiation model.

Marriage can teach you about interrogation - from the other side. (observe and learn her questioning and elicitation methods while courting - it'll help you develop better resistance techniques when marriage turns her into an interrogator)

Being a parent also offers good practical exercises in detection of deception and questioning that treads the line between elicitation and interrogation - especially as the kids become teenagers.

LOL, this is good though. I'm getting a kick out of this thread, way to keep it military professional.

I bought a military interrogation handbook off Amazon, and studied up on the techniques. I then used those techniques on my almost girlfriends girlfriend. I took her out to lunch and got all her and my girls secrets. She laughed when I pointed out to her that she had just given me all the dirt, against her will I had to try a few techniques out, chocolate and shoes were no incentive, but love of comrades and fear down got me some dirt, because I showed how me knowing my her friends secrets would actually (sure, right?) benefit all of us. I also used the we know all trick, and bargained with secrets that her friend had told me, that I could tell her. Once I got it out that there was a another guy in the picture I used emotional love to show that she could tell me everything about him. Then she broke and it was all direct questioning, and she gave me info I would never have thought to ask. Then just a little guilt absolution in case of future interrogation needs, and now she calls me any time there's dirt, does that make her an "asset" now, like an clandestine operative, or just a source?

Unfortunately this is about a girl, so of course there was no actionable intel, but I definitely feel a lot more confident vs the other dude, and how my girl feels about me.

Then she broke and it was all direct questioning, and she gave me info I would never have thought to ask.
    You'll live to regret opening this gate.
    -- Ken White

You'll live to regret opening this gate.
    No way. I've opened this gate a hundred times before. Opening people up, especially girls, has always been a worth wile experience for me. I go right in, don't waste any time in conversation. You just have to do it with complete empathy. This girl knew who I was when she agreed to eat lunch with me, she knew I would get her to come clean and tell me everything. She held out for a while, but she wouldn't have agreed to meet if she didn't already secretly want to tell me.

No way. I've opened this gate a hundred times before. Opening people up, especially girls, has always been a worth wile experience for me.
    "We'll see" said the farmer.
    -- Ken White