George,

If you're not going to play nicely then this thread is finished. I'm going to take the trouble to point out exactly where you're wrong in your assessment. I'm tired of having to correct people who blatantly mispresent what others say/write.

You may want to do a little historical research. These Europen individual country national laws exist as part of the end of WW II studied fix to hate crimes and left over Nazism attitudes, being a carry forward of the thrust of the Nuremburg War Trials. Focus then and now is to perpetuate the truthful horrible history of the Holocaust and never again allow such awful anti-Semitic hate mongering in their nation(s). A prison term of 5 years for attempting to promote or spread anti-Semitism and revisionist history related to same is perhaps too lenient.
Yes, George, I've heard of WWII and the Holocaust, and I deeply wish neither had happened. My point re censorship was a generic one. My second point was that I support the measures that these European countries have taken because of their uniquely horrendous experiences during that period. That is the 'exception rather than the rule' approach to censorship. On this issue you may want to do some research of your own and find out how many 'nazi' candidates have been voted in in certain countries and ask yourself whether this censorship really works. That's not a reason for not banning this type of material or expression but it does show that the effects of censorship are somewhat debatable and almost never clear cut.

On the other topic you mentioned, regarding First Amendment Rights, foreigners outside the US are not entitled to the benefits of the US Constitution unless living inside the US as US citizens. Foreigners inside the US have limited rights vs. citizens of the US, otherwise, what is the value and purpose of US citizenship in the first place?
Correct. That is why British neo-Nazis and holocaust deniers who's websites are hosted in the US are not protected by the First Amendment, and are prosecuted in the UK as a result. Your comment re the 'value and purpose of US citizenship' is a curious one.

You are mistaken to allude to folks being anti-Islamic. Many people, and I am one, are anti-terrorist. I/we have Muslim friends both here in the US and overseas, in Pakistan to be specific. Their views and mine/ours are the same when it comes to opposing terrorism, radicals, and the use of thuggery and murder.
'Anti-Islamic'? Your term, not mine. I used the term 'Islamist' which a quick scan of the voluminous literature on the subject should reveal what I mean. 'Islamic' does not equate to 'Islamist' - the conflation of the two is partly why we're in this mess in the first place.

In the case of Paksitan, the use of illegal FM radio broadcasts to coordinate murder and mayhem is a legal issue there, inside Pakistan, and it is a wartime issue there. Pakistan's efforts to control and stop broadcasting banditry has nothing to do with freedom of speech in the USA whatsoever, but fighting a terrible ideology which "attempts to use" the label of a religion to murder, suppress, and hold down grassroots decent Muslim citizens who want a better life for themselves and their children.
Has that comment, while true, got anything to do with what I wrote? No. Sounds like it's a favourite topic of yours, and about which you know far more than me, hence the fact I didn't address it in this thread.

Perhaps you might take time to note your premises as you seem to have prejudged or formed an opinion which you put on SWJ as a "what do you think" question, suggesting you wanted a defacto opinion poll?
I'll forgive that on the basis that you don't know me. Those who do, and who read my blog, will know that I'm not a judgemental type and that I'm far happier mulling over an issue than firing off ill-thought missives, particularly on subjects I know little about. And what is this 'de facto opinion poll' thing? I thought we were having a conversation but it's certainly taken a weird turn.

You should of course note that as you are a graduate student in England/UK your perspective is shaped by your national laws and moraes which are not identical with either other European nations nor idential with the laws here in the US.
Wow, thanks Teach. I may live on a rock off the coast of Europe with the other monkeys but I like to think that in the numerous comparative situations that arise in academia/life I'd got some idea that things were different elsewhere. Heck, I've even been to France. Guess I know nothing though.

Anyway, sorry you got the wrong end of the stick.

Tim