Thread: Do Senior Professional Military Education Schools Produce Strategists?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Operation Paperclip...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    In fact, I'd appreciate it if you could name me a military effort by this country that was 'moral' in the sense I think you mean. I'm sure there's one out there but right now, I can't recall a one. You could also name me one that was a net minus for mankind or the country if you can think of one...
    From Wikipedia

Operation Paperclip was the code name for the 1945 Joint Intelligence Objectives Agency[1] O.S.S.[citation needed] recruitment of German scientists from Nazi Germany to the U.S. after VE Day.[2]

President Truman authorised Operation Paperclip in August 1945, however he had expressly ordered that anyone found "to have been a member of the Nazi party and more than a nominal participant in its activities, or an active supporter of Nazism militarism" would be excluded.

Under this criteria many of the scientists recruited such as Wernher von Braun, Arthur Rudolph and Hubertus Strughold, who were all officially on record as Nazis and listed as a “menace to the security of the Allied Forces”, were ineligible. All were cleared to work in the U.S. after having their backgrounds "bleached" by the military. The paperclip which secured their new details in their personnel files gave the operation its name.
    With the benefit of hindsight the cost/benefit ratios certainly appear to trend towards the plus side of things...
    Last edited by Surferbeetle; 06-16-2009 at 04:03 AM.
    Sapere Aude