Thread: Military Working Dogs

Default Military Working Dogs

Besides being a life-long dog lover and owner, I have always appreciated the capabilities that man's best friend brings to the table as a military working dog. For those who feel the same - here is a link to DoD's Military Working Dogs web page. Nicely done - check it out.

Military working dogs first entered the service in March of 1942 to serve in the Army’s K-9 Corps. Today, the dogs, who have an actual military service record book assigned to them, are still playing an active role in searching for explosives and seizing the enemy.

Default Fellow Dog Lover

I was raised with dogs....my manners show it.

But I had RONCO demining dogs in Rwanda as part of my effort with the US-Rwandan demining program. Aside from one brute who tried to eat one of my trainers, the dogs were a great addition given the threat we were dealing with, especially those nasty Italian plastic AP mines. The dogs could find them when conventional detectors and manual probing failed--with a lot less noise and fuss.

I also a had a Ridgeback for more than a year...a story that got me on the front page of the Wash Post as an evil man

Now I have cats believe it or not...they have given up trying to improve my sense of etiquette.

Best
    Tom