Quote Originally Posted by Kiwigrunt View Post
Here's an interesting little read on organisations and staffs. Also touches on 'self licking ice-cream cone' syndrome.
I found myself thinking all cat in the hatish

-----------
There once was a man from nantucket
Who kept him some water in a bucket
For his garden you see
was a pretty as could be
As long as it had a little water

In that area the rain
Never dropped quite the same
Sometimes little here
Sometimes little there
Ofttimes naught but suns rays were droppin

So he kept the bucket filled
Which he'd take up on the hill
To water those plants he had planted

Then along came some storms
Some like hed never seen
and them plants they was watered
Yeah watered to well

And then all heck broke loose when they
started to swell
so he got him a shovel
and dug him a well

then he dug a few trenches to run off the
water
It was raining so fast he got help from his
daughter

oh she had to miss school
but that girl was no fool
and she told him that he'd have to pay

Well the storms disappeared and the rains
went away
But he still had the ditches and a daughter to
pay

But hey at least there'd still be food for the
market

--------------
Sorry couldn't resist

Seriously the topic of organizations and what they bring seems way too often to lead us to inquisitions which fail to remember what got us where we were in the first place

Is there overkill sometimes yes,
But in all truth quite often we have institutions which have become and are exceptionally capable of doing what they do but when something different comes around although they adjust as well as they can it is probably faster (a political bonus no doubt) to simply find a new group which can hit the ground running rather than work to get the old org in good enough shape to keep up.

This works well because the new guys probably will catch up to the new adversary the question is what to do with them when they get them.

The biggest personal problem I think I see with the question of why so many new things; is that they are so often replicas of something you had in the past and failed to keep around. Seems like that might at some point indicate that perhaps they need to be kept around in at least good enough shape to be brought back out when needed.

Probably goes doubly for govt. How many new groups will have to be put together to even get close to the type of capabilities the nation had in years long gone.