Thread: Observing Iran (catch all historical thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone know for sure about the .50-cal. Steyrs which were supposedly captured in Iraq? Any idea why those were not produced in the latest presentations?

Council Member

tequila, good question! Has anyone really seen those rifles in Iraq or is this some kind of propaganda war against old Europe? If you consider fact that insurgents like to play with gadgets in front of cameras, then youtube should be full of this info

Default Report: Austrian rifles supplied to Iran have found their way to Iraqi insurgents

Well, some seem to think so !

http://medienkritik.typepad.com/blog...wered_aus.html

Just another reason for the Americans to thank the European "friends" in the Austrian government. High-powered 50 caliber rifles sold to Iran "to fight drug smugglers" by the Austrian firm Steyr-Mannlicher are now killing US troops in Iraq, and the Austrian government expressly approved the sale in 2005 despite U.S. protests, describing the deal as "unimpeachable":
    Just more evidence of the non-violent superiority of the European way-of-life. Trade anything to anyone. Who cares if they are genocidal thugs or out to build a nuke or wipe Israel off the map? Who cares if they use the rifles to kill Americans? This keeps Austria's unemployment down. Don't you just love pacifism?
    Last edited by Stan; 01-09-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Stan, all I've been able to find are similar links from nutbag right-wing blogs linking to the same damned Telegraph story, which has so far not been substantiated by anything from CENTCOM. Do we have reports of troops or vehicles actually being hit with .50-cal. sniper rounds?

Default OK, how 'bout this link ?

Hey Tequila, how about this one ?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,251665,00.html

LONDON — Sophisticated rifles supplied to Iran by an Austrian arms company in 2006 are finding their way into the hands of Iraqi insurgents, a British newspaper reported on Tuesday.

American troops have recovered more than 100 "Steyr .50 HS" rifles in Iraq, part of an Austrian consignment of 800 such weapons delivered to Iran over American protests that they could be given to insurgents, the Daily Telegraph reported.
    I will not comment regarding nutbags, or I will be butt-stroked again !

Heh, I didn't mean you Stan.

At any rate, the Fox News report is just refeeding the AP report which is just refeeding the Telegraph story.

LONDON — Sophisticated rifles supplied to Iran by an Austrian arms company in 2006 are finding their way into the hands of Iraqi insurgents, a British newspaper reported on Tuesday.

American troops have recovered more than 100 "Steyr .50 HS" rifles in Iraq, part of an Austrian consignment of 800 such weapons delivered to Iran over American protests that they could be given to insurgents, the Daily Telegraph reported.

Default Media and the Military ?

No hard feelings Tequila...honestly.
    God, where are the smart guys like Marc when you need them ?

OK, I'll go at it alone this time and quote a really cool guy in my defense RE: Copy and Paste in the 21st century !

"It appears we have appointed our worst generals to command our forces, and our most gifted and brilliant to edit newspapers! In fact, I discovered by reading newspapers that these editor/geniuses plainly saw all my strategic defects from the start, yet failed to inform me until it was too late. Accordingly, I'm readily and willing to yield my command to these obviously superior intellects and I'll, in turn, do my best for the cause by writing editorials - after the fact." --- General Robert E. Lee C.S.A. 1863.

Council Member

Thumbs down Who should we be really upset with?

Austria ---Neutral country, its citizens together or individually can sell goods and services just like we can and do. After all they just arranged for the production of a terrific supply of excellent civil defence weapons (the styre 50s) and the Iranians are essentially footing the bill for equiping the Austrian Civil defence force. Pretty smart really and The insurgents are testing them in real world conditions against a real Military.

Iran ---We should have assumed from the start of our invasion if not already from the 1980 hostage crisis they will take every opportunity to hurt and kill the US as a nation and individually.

Bad Guy trigger pullers---I guess they didn't get the memmo about how they should not buy good equipment.

Barrett Arms-- Did they let the Austrians beat them in building a better battle implement?

Ourselves--- for not demanding and achieving sufficient force and will to control the country we invaded including its borders. Its like someone just said that might be hard to do - it will be okay even if we cannot control the border lets not make that part of the mission.

Get Real Guys you are better than this and its a 2 year old story.