Thread: Observing Iran (catch all historical thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Covert support of opposition groups within Iran needs to be approached with care, as I mentioned in a different thread. Aside from the issue of legitimacy, there is also the hard fact that the Iranian opposition is not only fragmented, but there is a great deal of dissent on goals and approaches within and among the various opposition factions.

The son-of-shah is not exactly a disinterested speaker, but his support exists mainly in exile and he is only a figurehead for what is virtually the weakest faction in-country. As much as the vast majority of Iranians dislike Mullahcracy, they aren't exactly eager for a re-run of the Shah. Giving him much attention would simply be a repeat of the stupidity exhibited with Chalabi in the run-up to OIF.

I agree it seems like we have been down that road before both with Chalabi and a few decades ago with the Shah. Hopefully we have learned something from our own history.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stu-6
    I agree it seems like we have been down that road before both with Chalabi and a few decades ago with the Shah. Hopefully we have learned something from our own history.
    We also covertly supported the Ayatollah and assisted in his rise to power, destablizing the Soviet puppet in Kabul and luring the bear to invade Afghanistan.

US support for the Ayatollah? Supporting his rise to power? I am intrigued please elaborate.

Default I Am Intrigued Too...

Quote Originally Posted by Stu-6
    US support for the Ayatollah? Supporting his rise to power? I am intrigued please elaborate.
    Me too. This should be good.

Banned

Brzezinski mentioned it during an interview with a French reporter. Look it up yourself if it is so intriguing.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by GorTex6
    Brzezinski mentioned it during an interview with a French reporter. Look it up yourself if it is so intriguing.
    If you are going to utter purported statements of fact that go so strongly against the grain of established wisdom, then you should be able to back it up with some type of source. One good thing about these boards is that you are so easily able to hot-link sources and references into your discussion. If you simply make bald statements of opinion masquerading as fact, and refuse to back them up, you lose credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by GorTex6
    Gladly if you would be so kind as to give some details (what kind of support wa given, etc.) I will certianly try to find out what I can.