Quote Originally Posted by aktarian
I don't understand why people always assume that if two groups use similar aproach there must be cooperation. Just because Taliban started using similar methods as Iraqis it doesn't mean there is cooperation. Taliban watch TV and read the papers right? So they must know what's happening in Iraq and thinking "hey, if it works there why not here?".

Hamas bombers tape themselves before they blow themselves up. If Taliban are doing it does this mean there is cooperation between Hamas and Taliban?

There might be cooperation but I wouldn't claim one exist just because of similar methods.
Threat Migration is a generic term that refers to both active cooperation in the sharing of TTPs and the implementation of lessons learned by militants in one area by militants in another which have been gleaned by indirect means (i.e. various media, third-party conversations, etc. - although, keep in mind that there aren't a lot of media resources in the Afghan-Paki border areas)

Also, some of what may appear to be threat migration is simply natural evolution of TTPs driven by operational necessity through the pressure of combat operations.

At the operational level, it is very important to be able to differentiate between these - it doesn't require an explanation as to how important it is to identify nodes of active cooperation between militants in different areas of operation. And its simply a smart way of doing business to track evolving TTPs by the various groups to identify such similarities - only by keeping your finger on the pulse of what are simply evolutionary TTPs, are you able to discern the difference between what may have been the result of indirect learning, and where there are solid indicators of active cooperation.

The strategic danger occurs when senior decision makers, for purely political purposes, attempt to create linkages in operational cooperation between elements where it doesn't really exist.