Thread: Afghanistan ROE Change

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rank amateur View Post
    In all seriousness, I wonder if there will be a Lysistrata effect?
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Council Member

Default "Marines in Afghan standoff" story

Jeez you guys are quick on the draw.

I think we will have to establish bona fides with a very suspicious Pashtun population first, especially given that the Taliban have held control of these villages for so long. I'd imagine for people inclined to believe the worst of Americans, it's not easy to surrender your women and children --- essentially your own honor --- to them. You could just as easily have a sort of Spartan wife effect --- defend your home and family from the infidel, etc.

Question While I wonder if saying the new rules seem to be working

based on one action that appears to be still in process might not be just a tad premature...

Council Member

Thank you, Ken!!!!

Council Member

My bad. I didn't realize you guys needed to be told, "Check for hairy feet."

"Apparently these were tall, rather broad-shouldered women with hairy feet," Pelletier said.

Still. Having us say the Taliban are cowards who dress as women has got to be better than them saying we kill women and children.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Sometimes it takes someone without deep experience to think creatively.

Default Compound away but

doesn't that shoot your "New ROE seem to be working" theory in the foot?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rank amateur View Post
    My bad. I didn't realize you guys needed to be told, "Check for hairy feet."

"Apparently these were tall, rather broad-shouldered women with hairy feet," Pelletier said.

Still. Having us say the Taliban are cowards who dress as women has got to be better than them saying we kill women and children.
    So how much longer before we start allowing female soldiers/Marines to go on these types of mission so our forces are able to detain/search Afghan females. Weren't the Marines doing precisely that during that later OIF deployments? Did we already forget the lessons learned or are there any other factors at play here (such as the declaration that major combat operations were already over; ie- "mission accomplished" banner)?

Default Both the Army and the Marines have been taking females

on patrols in Afghanistan since 2002. Given the articles I've read on this one, I saw no opportunity to use any females. Obviously, when the second batch came out, the Marines shouldn't have allowed themselves to be distracted by the one wounded female but they did. That happens -- but they learned and won't make that mistake again.

Next time they'll have the female Marines -- or Soldiers (since the Army has more females in Afghanistan than do the Marines) -- check all 'females' and hold 'em under (female if possible) guard until the action is completed. Early days, new unit, new AO -- there's always a learning curve.

One take on this one could be that the new rules do not work as they were used to manipulate and escape -- but it's way too early to say that, certainly based only on a couple of fragmentary news articles. Time will tell.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    One take on this one could be that the new rules do not work as they were used to manipulate and escape -- but it's way too early to say that, certainly based only on a couple of fragmentary news articles. Time will tell.
    I thought how to tell the difference between a woman and a man dressed as a woman was something all soldiers learned on R&R.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Sometimes it takes someone without deep experience to think creatively.