Quote Originally Posted by Allen Ford View Post
- I'm not with you with respect to "mental midgets" -- many of these potential recruits may not understand Clausewitz or Mahan, but they definitely "get it" with respect to Jullan Assange and his global impact.
And there you floundered. Julian Assange and WIkileaks is primarily a information operation. I know y'all in DOD link and re-link cyber to IO with CNA, CNE, CND but that is kind of like linking ISR to ground warfare. It is a tool used in a set of tactics, BUT if cyber is truly a new domain like sea, air, land then you have to expect some cross linkages.

The CNE of Assange and Wikileaks was a CD-R labeled Lady Gaga and a few hours unfettered at a terminal for a likely narcissistic sycophant.

That makes your primary people who "get it" with respect to Assange and his global impact the cyber equivalent of skateboarders who get a good rail or cute trick using the furniture poorly. That doesn't make them engineers or warriors on that terrain. If cyber is a new domain then we should expect people and their shenanigans but that isn't what fighting in that domain should look like. Graffiti exists in sea (changing the Chicago River to green on St. Patty's day), air (sky writing), land (ever see a Cargill rail road car?). And, on the web (defacement of webpages). That doesn't make those things cyber warfare or really about war fighting.

Cyber must break things, and kill people, and we need people in DOD who do those things through cyber means. Whether hybridized mass casualty events using an unassociated tech to kill via cyber engagement or something else. The key words are degrade, disrupt, or destroy and they are requirements. Disruption of social processes is information operations regardless of tools. Causing the nations corn to not grow because you hacked the Monsanto genomics database is cyber terrorism/warfare.

Unfortunately I see a lot of people hiding behind various doctrine documents that aren't very well thought out, and by do so are ignoring real world capabilities that aren't fear mongering.

Cyber is greatly about the sideways attack.