Thread: Honduras (catch all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    Certainly the expulsion of Zelaya appears to be un-Constitutional. Article 81 and 102:

ARTICULO 81.- Toda persona tiene derecho a circular libremente, salir, entrar y permanecer en el territorio nacional.

ARTICULO 102.- Ningún hondureño podrá ser expatriado ni entregado por las autoridades a un Estado extranjero
    Article 42, Section 5:
    La calidad de ciudadano se pierde:
    5. Por incitar, promover o apoyar el continuismo o la reelección del Presidente de la República;

Citizenship is lost for "inciting, promoting or supporting the continuation or the reelection of the President of the Republic."

If he loses his citizenship, article 102 would not apply right?

Council Member

Default No Gringo

it wouldn't until there was a trial and he was convicted of the crimes in Art 42 Sec 5. So, ex-Pres Zelaya is still a citizen; if he returns he will be arrested for the crimes listed there and a trial should ensue. If he stays away until a deal is reached or his term is over then there is not likely to be an arrest and trial.

My guess is that Zelaya was offered the choice of resinging the Presidency and gettin on a plane to Costa Rica or being dragged off to jail in handcuffs and PJs.

Cheers

JohnT

Council Member

Default Interesting contrast ...

First we have Sr Zelaya's take from Bloomberg:

Zelaya Plotting Return, Seeks ‘Strong’ U.S. Actions (Update2)
    By Andres R. Martinez and Matthew Walter

July 2 (Bloomberg) -- Deposed Honduran President Manuel Zelaya said he’s plotting his return to the Central American nation and called for “strong” action from the U.S. to help restore him to power.

“Their words are strong,” Zelaya said today during an interview in the lobby of the Sheraton hotel in Panama. “We’re going to see now if their actions are strong.” ......
    Then we have quite a different picture from McClatchy:

Posted on Thursday, July 2, 2009
    U.S. taking cautious approach to Honduras political crisis
    By Lesley Clark | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — When the ousted president of Honduras hit Washington this week demanding a return to power, he got meetings with a White House adviser and a top U.S. diplomat.

To be sure, President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton already had condemned the coup d'etat that ejected President Manuel Zelaya from his Central American nation. However, the second-tier meetings signaled the new administration's cautious and nuanced management of its first full-blown crisis in Latin America.

Rather than taking the lead, the White House has chosen to defer to the Organization of American States, allowing it to steer an effort to orchestrate a restoration of "democratic order" in Honduras, a move that analysts say might enhance U.S. credibility in a region that's long viewed Washington's intervention with suspicion. ....

Lightbulb "Go along to get along!"

From the McClatchy article:
    "We have basically taken the Zelaya line, the (OAS Secretary-General Jose Miguel) Insulza line, the Chavez line, and we haven't established anything that looks to my mind like an independent position," said Ray Walser, a veteran Foreign Service officer and senior policy analyst on Latin America at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative policy-research center. "We've abandoned leadership in exchange for getting along."
    Mr. Walser nailed it.
    "At least we're getting the kind of experience we need for the next war." -- Allen Dulles

A work of art worth drooling over: http://www.maxton.com/intimidator1/i...r1_page4.shtml

Council Member

Default Change in policy - debate of the dead ....

Looks like a shift in policy to some extent - note that the Obama administration has backed off from the initial rhetoric of Pres. Obama and Ms. Clinton. The cartoon of three parrots (Castro, Chavez & Ortega) way out on the limb, and Pres. Obama as the 4th parrot, on the limb but with some separation, overstates the case (IMO).

My fantasy this evening would be to resurrect and have a debate on the present US policy between the following dead folks: Colonel King, David Atlee Phillips and Cord Meyer - how's that for spanning the political spectrum ?

I suppose we should add Desmond Fitzgerald to gain some Gaelic color.
    Last edited by jmm99; 07-04-2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: add link

Default I can't see the cartoon....

jmm,

Your link to the professionalsoldiers.com forum works, and I can see the jpg link in the post you referenced. But clicking on the jpg link requires signing in to view the image. Can you post the cartoon here??

I should think that Garlic adds more aroma than color. Ah'm just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    Looks like a shift in policy to some extent - note that the Obama administration has backed off from the initial rhetoric of Pres. Obama and Ms. Clinton. The cartoon of three parrots (Castro, Chavez & Ortega) way out on the limb, and Pres. Obama as the 4th parrot, on the limb but with some separation, overstates the case (IMO).

My fantasy this evening would be to resurrect and have a debate on the present US policy between the following dead folks: Colonel King, David Atlee Phillips and Cord Meyer - how's that for spanning the political spectrum ?

I suppose we should add Desmond Fitzgerald to gain some Gaelic color.
    "At least we're getting the kind of experience we need for the next war." -- Allen Dulles

A work of art worth drooling over: http://www.maxton.com/intimidator1/i...r1_page4.shtml