Dayuhan

Certainly doing nothing is always an option, and probably more often than we would like admit, the best one. It means relinquishing control of outcomes though, and that makes us nervous.

What I offer is an alternative to current perspectives on engagement. One based in recognizing that it is governments that cause insurgency, and not insurgents that cause insurgency. I see no need to reinforce positions rooted in list-driven CT; capacity building of security forces for governments widely recognized as despotic; or nation building among the populaces of those same governments. Those COAs already have plenty of supporters and Cheerleaders.

All engagement is not however inherently bad. It is possible to help people to get to a better place through wise, tailored engagement that never forgets where we fit into the equation as an outside party.

Maybe it is ok to shoot missiles at a nationalist insurgent group that associates with AQ but not ok to talk to them and see if we can't offer them a better alternative. Maybe building the capacity of governments with questionable records on civil rights to better go out and "enforce the rule of law" against insurgent organizations within their populace who also happen to associate with AQ is the smartest way to "defeat terrorism." Maybe, and I am not saying that you think it is, but many do. I disagree. I think we can engage smarter. I also believe that smart engagement is better than doing nothing at all.