Much, but not all, of the discussion on lawfare centers on its use at the tactical or operational level. The typical scenario is something like AQI sniping from a school, we return fire killing civilians, AQI then publicizes the civilian casualties. Although this tacticial or operational use of lawfare can have strategic implications, its actual use is confined to the battlefield and thus either tactical or operational.

Lawfare, however, can be used at the strategic level. Two examples: (1) the Brussels Act of 1890 sought to ban the sale, by its European signatories, of breech-loading weapons in equatorial Africa. This had the strategic effect of maintaining, at least for awhile, the European firepower advantage. (2) China has recently increased its activity within its exclusive economic zone to preclude US surveillance missions in an effort to assert its claim of some form of expanded jursidiction within that area. This attempt at redefining international law serves the strategic purpose, if ultimately successful, of extending its defensive perimeter (I think they call it the "string of pearls" strategy).

As this is something I have just begun exploring, I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on this topic or in reading anything related that some of you may have come across.