Thread: US Soldier captured in Afghanistan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Saw that. Said to myself, 'that is REALLY stupid...'

and moved on. Thought it bad enough that I couldn't bring myself to post it here. Agree it's far more likely to do harm than good.

I'd like to report I'm always shocked when we do something dumb but I do try to be honest here...

David's point is very appropriate; the leaflet sort of makes a mockery of 'knowing the culture.' Hopefully, the PsyOps people and the IO guys were not involved. David was quite polite, calling it "bizarre." True, it is that, however, I'm inclined to stick with my "stupid."

Former Member George L. Singleton's Avatar

Default Let it work it's way out.

Too many knowns. The media needs to shut up and shut down as the did with their yellow journalist NYT captive until he escaped.

We, too, need to be quiet about unknowns.

Let it work it's way out.

Council Member Brandon Friedman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George L. Singleton View Post
    Too many knowns. The media needs to shut up and shut down as the did with their yellow journalist NYT captive until he escaped.

We, too, need to be quiet about unknowns.

Let it work it's way out.
    This is not one of those situations. In context or out of context, this is clearly stupid and dangerous. It's something COL Steele would've done. And I'm glad I know about it.

Default Hmmm...

You have knowledge others lack, and thus higher confidence. No argument - I think that's a fine point with which to close the discussion.

Council Member Brandon Friedman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
    You have knowledge others lack, and thus higher confidence. No argument - I think that's a fine point with which to close the discussion.
    Not quite sure what you're saying. You eager to close the discussion?

Default I look forward to the resolution of the situation

...and hope it is "positive". I wouldn't presume to declare a discussion closed. But the leaflets represent the tip of an iceberg of effort that I personally haven't seen.

I'm confident enough that I don't know enough to discuss because I have been peripherally involved in similar efforts. Sometimes things don't make sense in isolation - even (or especially) when compared to other knowns. I concur with George re: unknowns.

Default A path best left untraveled

"It's something COL Steele would've done."

Extremely presumptive on many levels and unnecessary to this discussion.

Former Member George L. Singleton's Avatar

Default Use Voice of America TV and yes, radio broadcasts

We now need VOA TV and radio broadcasts "advertsing" to return for a reward the kidnapped PFC currently being held hostage.

All broadcasts need to be in the native dialects common on both sides of the Durland Line. Ads offering rewards and quoting the Qu'ran about peace and about helping other "People of the Book", ie, as we are all literally descendants of Abraham [as described both in our Holy Bible and in the Qu'ran] I believe this would work better than leaflets which many native illiterates cannot read, even though they can look at a cheap picture on a leaflet.

We are dealing here with terrorist "rug merchants" treating a soldier as a trading property of value.

Kidnapped, he apparently has been sold by a lower level Taliban outfit to a higher level Taliban outfit who want to now use him as a bargaining chip to gain release of other Taliban prisoners and on the side also want money, ie, to be "paid off."

Taliban alleged remarks for the whole war to stop over one PFC's kidnapping are off the wall and most likely not the result these rug merchants realistically hope for...which is the release of many Taliban prisoners and being literally paid off in money, too.

The less said about this whole fiasco by the media the better as I have said before. Right now the Talaiban are getting millions of dollars worth of free public relations, albeit negative public relations...the old political addage here in the South regarding politicians, which the Taliban are a sort of, is "spell my name in your newspaper correctly no matter what you say about me!"

A "hostage" is not a prisoner of war.
    Last edited by George L. Singleton; 07-19-2009 at 10:38 PM.

Default No News

The last time an American service member went missing in Afghanistan was in June, when Pfc. Bowe R. Bergdahl was captured after straying from a US base near the eastern border with Pakistan. On July 18, Taliban insurgents released a video of the 23-year-old soldier from Idaho. Bergdahl has not been found.
    From:http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,1106216.story

Let's hope he has not been forgotten and this is an appropriate update as Rememberance Sunday is tomorrow (US equivalent: Veterans Day?).

davidbfpo
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 11-07-2009 at 01:06 PM.