Thread: Little Rock Shootings ....

Council Member

Default Little Rock Shootings ....

One KIA, one WIA (it will not be classified as such, but it should be) at Little Rock Army Recruiting Station - many stories on the wire - Story 1 and Story 2.

FBI Investigating Suspect In Little Rock Army Recruiter Shooting
    June 2, 2009 11:26 a.m. EST

Kris Alingod - AHN Contributor
    Little Rock, AR (AHN) - The FBI is investigating the suspect in the shooting at a Little Rock Army recruiting center on Monday, which killed one soldier and wounded another.

According to reports, a 24-year-old U.S. citizen named Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad faces first-degree murder and 15 counts of engaging in a terrorist act. Muhammad is a Muslim convert who changed his name from Carlos Bledsoe. He recently moved to Little Rock from Nashville.

ABC reports that Muhammad had recently traveled to Yemen, where he was arrested for using a Somali passport. "There doesn't appear to be a wider conspiracy or, at this point in time, any indication that he's a part of a larger group or a conspiracy to go further," Little Rock Police Chief Stuart Thomas is quoted as saying. Nonetheless, the FBI's Joint Terrorist Task Force is investigating if Muhammad had acted alone.

There were several people at the recruiting center when Muhammad fired while driving by in his truck. Privates William Long, 23, and Quinton Ezeagwula, 18, were standing outside and hit. Long died but Ezeagwula was wounded and is expected to recover. Both victims had not yet been deployed.
    More facts will surface on this one, I expect.

-----------------------------
    Disclosure: The local Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines recruiting station is rented from me and has been for about 25 years. Not that long ago, that site was "hardened". At the time, I thought - OK, but who would attack it ? After this bit of news, the expenditure (paid for by USG) makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    One KIA, one WIA (it will not be classified as such, but it should be) at Little Rock Army Recruiting Station - many stories on the wire - Story 1 and Story 2.

More facts will surface on this one, I expect.
    According to Fox News, he went to Yemen for some unknown reason prior to this. It's odd to me that he is charged with "terrorism" but not for the reason you'd expect -- he fired a gun at an occupied building.
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Council Member

Default Terrorism charges are usually not accidental ...

Photos and videos on KATV7.

Here is a series of links which may point in the right direction, or may fly off into the wide blue yonder. one, two, three, four. The posited link for a number of violent events is Yahya Hajoori of Yemen.

The accused shooter was under investigation before the shootings by the FBI's Joint Terrorist Task Force (link to ABC).

Some things to keep in mind, but I'd wait for the indictment where the charges will be "refined", I expect.
    Last edited by jmm99; 06-02-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Council Member

Default Updates

AP update, THV-1 and THV-2 have the most content so far.

At present, Abdulhakim Muhammad is being held without bond under 1 murder charge and 16 terrorist act charges (1 for the kid who was wounded, and 15 for the 15 people inside the recruiting center which was fired on). All charges are based on state criminal law.

Federal charges could be brought. So far, I've not seen a statement from the Obama administration, but certainly could have missed it.

Council Member

Disclosure: The local Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines recruiting station is rented from me and has been for about 25 years. Not that long ago, that site was "hardened". At the time, I thought - OK, but who would attack it ? After this bit of news, the expenditure (paid for by USG) makes more sense.
    I know that back in the late 90s, a recruiting station in downtown Springfield, MA would get occasional bricks tossed through the windows - not because of anti-military bigotry but simply because it was a crappy neighborhood. Ditto a few centers in Detroit and LA prior to that (as told to me by guys who were on the trail in those locations).

Council Member

Default Nope, not a bad neighborhood ...

main street of university town. Best I can do right now for photo - must have been taken from motel next door overlooking the building. Anyway, gives you an idea of the surroundings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default I'm happy to see you've painted your roofs white

as the Honorable Dr. Chu recommends and I note you've also gone further and painted your streets and walks Admirable!

I note some of the vehicles have their roofs painted white. That is really being eco-sensitive...

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    I note some of the vehicles have their roofs painted white. That is really being eco-sensitive...
    There was talk of banning black cars in CA. Go figure... I'm an energy efficiency nut, but that is taking it too far.

As for the shooting, I was surprised to learn that an SKS is an "assault rifle." But I learn something new every day.

Council Member

Default Darn right we paint em white ....

and, I tell you, it's really a job to pile on that paint 3 feet thick. But, it really is worth it - excuse me now; I have to leave and hug a tree.

Or better yet, one of my reindeer. Heck, I live in Hancock, not Houghton - I'm a Finlander.

Default You know the press is clueless

about hardware, Seth...

JMM. This it???
    Last edited by Ken White; 09-27-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Default Careful with that hugging.

Reindeer are easily led astray...

Council Member

Default Indeed, that is it ...

which needs some renovation to the wood, etc. - which plan was presented to the city fathers. No, said they, we don't like your plan (cost about $15K). We want you to remodel your building to fit our architectural plan for downtown. And here is what your building will look like.

How nice, said I - and that plan prices out methinks to about $100-150K. Yes, they said, but we can get grant money for 50%; and a low interest loan for the other 50%. No, said I, I have to sleep at nite - and keep whatever reputation I have.

I expect we'll get around to some basic repairs & staining, etc., which is grandfathered.

PS: Not a problem with the reindeer; I got rid of the ewe.

Default Ewww, that's kinky...

I expect we'll get around to some basic repairs & staining, etc., which is grandfathered.

PS: Not a problem with the reindeer; I got rid of the ewe.
    Trust the Urban Renewal crowd to price everything out of the market...

And the louts in Congress gleefully support that???

Council Member

Default Yup ....

You have Historic Houghton and Humble Hancock. Different cultures and approaches to financing municipal projects. Houghton has gone toward the grant approach to enhance its historical theme.

With grants come strings; so, to get funding for revamping its ancient water and sewer system downtown, Houghton had to take the rest of the package - which was to pave the main street from end to end with paving bricks. Now, in a country that has serious frost heave issues, paving bricks may not be the best approach. The price to the taxpayer doubles up - for an add on that may not work and may have to be ripped out and replaced (if so, triple costs).

Hancock has a modern water and sewer system (with sanitary and storm sewer separation - lots of spring runoff here), financed by long-term bonding. Same thing with its school system. So, you have to pay for these things by more direct taxes in Hancock, but at least you get to vote on them.

Default Ken

Don't get Mike started on the Finnish Sierra in the same sentence with reference to reindeer and vodka

Mike, looks too friggin cold there for the likes of me.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Default Holy crap...

Little Rock has snow...in June!?!?!?
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Council Member

Default Stan, ....

problem easily solved ......

Mike, looks too friggin cold there for the likes of me.
    You can huddle and cuddle with the Soumalainen Sisters (attached).

I think we have moved far off topic - which is understandable since what happened in Little Rock is a lousy topic to think about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Council Member

Default Moving back to the original topic.

State capital murder charges were filed last Tuesday against Abdulhakim Muhammad (aka Carlos Bledsoe) for fatally shooting Pvt. William Long and wounding Pvt. Quinton Ezeagwula at the Little Rock recruiting center.

Circuit Judge Herbert Wright Jr.'s office said last Thursday that 24-year-old Abdulhakim Muhammad is to appear for arraignment on July 31 at 8:30 a.m.

No Federal charges have been filed to date.