For sometime since the London and Glasgow bombings, on Friday 29th and Saturday 30th June 2007, I've been wondering about the propaganda aspect.

The Haymarket bomb was left outside a night club, on a "ladies night" and any explosion would have been recorded on some CCTV and mobilephone cameras. This was the first car id'd, where the bomb failed to detonate. The second bomb was left nearby, possibly where crowds would have been directed / assembled and was removed for parking enforcement reasons - only later being id'd as carrying a bomb.

In the 7th July 2005 suicide bombings the most iconic image is the London Transport red double-decker bus; the only bomb that went off on the surface, reportedly by mistake. The bombs on the Tube were initially only seen on very poor quality mobilephone camera pictures.

The Glasgow airport bomb attack, ramming a entry door to the passenger terminal, was recorded on CCTV and mobilephones / video cameras - within minutes footage was on the TV (some of it stunning). Why the bombers chose this target is reported as dictated by proximity and aiming to cause mass casualties.

We all know AQ and others regularly video their attacks and later put their footage on the web etc. Armed propaganda.

What would have happened had the bombs in London been put in place adjacent to the route of the Gay Pride march, Saturday 30th June 2007? I assume the route through central London (possibly near to Haymarket) would have been cleared of vehicles, but not the side streets. I have excluded the report that the bombs are reported as being poorly constructed and maybe not effective.

A Muslim contact when asked about this replied "Oh dear, that would have been awful. These people hate gays so much".

Would the bombers known of the Gay Pride march? Hardly likely to read the gay / pink press I'd suggest. Helped by not living in London, but Glasgow hundreds of miles away.

Are we missing a factor in countering terrorist bombing - that the outrage is captured on video footage taken by the public and will be on the TV / web quickly?

No public presence, no bombs.

The presence of CCTV in the UK metropolitan areas being assumed and not usually released to the public for sometime. Or retained for evidential purposes.

SWJ possibly a strategic communication thread?

Thanks to Rob T. and Jon C. for listening to this theory and encouraging me to "air" it on SWJ.

davidbfpo